In 2010, PPC celebrated its centenary as a JSE-listed company, joining an extremely small and elite group of listed centenarians, not only in South Africa but worldwide.
The roots of Pretoria Portland Cement Company (PPC), however, stretch back 118 years to 1892 when it established South Africa's first cement plant on the outskirts of Pretoria to counter the exorbitant delivered cost of cement imported from Europe. Since those early gold-rush days on the Witwatersrand, PPC has proven its ability to adapt and flourish in changing circumstances - two world wars, a global depression and several lesser recessions, the booms and busts of the cement market, and considerable political turmoil that culminated in South Africa's democracy.
Today, PPC is the leading supplier of cement in southern Africa through eight cement manufacturing facilities and three milling depots in South Africa, Botswana and Zimbabwe that can produce around eight million tons of cement products each year. PPC also produces aggregates, metallurgical-grade lime, burnt dolomite and limestone.
- Focus on core business
Remain focused on core business, the manufacture and supply of cement, lime, and aggregate products.
- Expand geographic footprint
Exploit growth opportunities in other emerging markets that will enhance shareholder value.
- Generate superior cash flow returns
Ensure cash flow returns that allow for sustainable investment in traditional and new markets.
- Achieve global competitiveness
Ensure operating efficiencies, overhead costs and environmental performances are in line with international benchmarks.
- Develop globally competitive people
People are a key sustainable competitive advantage and PPC will continually prioritise the development of its people.
- Practice sound corporate, social and environmental governance
We are committed to applying best practices in corporate governance and caring for the environment and the communities in which we operate.
- We believe in satisfying our customers' needs
- We supply quality products and services
- We respect the individual
- We provide a non-discriminatory, healthy, safe and challenging work environment
- We are committed to improving the quality of life for our people
- We strive for security
- We care for the environment and the communities in which we operate
- We act professionally