CIO will provide leadership and be responsible for strategic planning, organizing, and controlling of all day-to-day bank’s Business Technology (BT) activities. The CIO will design and implement the Business Technology strategy of the Bank by sponsoring all ICT projects under the bank’s strategic change program. When required the CIO will manage key strategic projects directly. He / She will be instrumental in the execution of the innovation agenda of the Bank by taking leadership in digitalization and process automation.
- Bank Ops Capex Budget: 25.7 Billion (Prime)
- Bank Ops Opex Budget : 32.6 Billion (Prime)
- Cost/Income Ratio as per set targets annually, currently at 55%
- PAT: 58 Billion (Contributory)
- Functional areas under Supervision
- Business Technology
- Projects Management Office
- Finnacle Consultant
- Key member of EXCO, Project & Procurement Committee & IT Steering Committee
Direct Supervision – 3 Staff
Indirect Supervision – 27
Qualifications and Competencies
- A University degree in ICT or other numerically based degree
- Strong background in BT, banking operations and process development and redesign, including business requirements analysis, feasibility studies, monitoring and evaluation.
- Strong skills set in Business process analysis and redesign to value for money for the bank across BT and a Professional qualification in banking e.g. ACIB will be added advantage
- 10 years working experience preferably in the financial services industry of which 5 years should be in a senior management position
- Proven skills in negotiating with vendors, contractors, Budget preparation and monitoring & Planning, Experience in Change Management & Project Management is a must
- Certification in Project Management e.g. PRINCE2, .etc. is added advantage
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to drive change from a BT perspective. Able to convince when possible and to impose when required.
- Innovator by nature
Information Technology Competencies & Responsibilities
- • Demonstrated ability to link and apply complex technologies to business strategies & a high proficiency in Information and Communication Technology
- Coordinates and controls all projects related to selection, acquisition, development and installation of major information and operations systems for the bank.
- Provides advice on evaluation, selection, implementation and maintenance of information systems, ensuring appropriate investment in strategic and operational systems.
- Evaluates systems to measure their success.
- Reviews all hardware and software acquisition and maintenance contracts, soliciting involvement and participation of other management team members as appropriate
- Develops and maintains the bank’s BT corporate policies and standards aimed at maximizing effectiveness and minimizing costs related to the acquisition, implementation and operation of BT systems and enhancing banking operations efficiencies.
- Develops and monitors the approved annual operating and capital budgets for operations and BT systems.
- Maintains contact with BT suppliers and maintains knowledge of current technology, equipment, prices and terms of agreements to minimize the investment required to meet established service levels.
- Evaluates alternatives, performs appropriate cost benefit analysis, and recommends solutions that maximize effectiveness and minimize costs commensurate with acceptable risks.
- Manages relationships with vendors for sales, service and support of all information systems and technology.
- Maintains problem logs, documenting system errors or defects. Serves as the primary contact to software, hardware and network-related vendors, consultants, and partners.
- Develops and maintains the systems architecture, defining standards and protocols for data exchange, communications, software and interconnection of the banks network information systems
- Designs, implements, and evaluates the BT and operational systems that support end users in the productive use of hardware and software.
- An understanding of ICT strategy implementation through tactical and business planning, business technology and its application at all levels in this environment and the skills to think strategically.
- An understanding of key ICT management standards, including but not limited to Information Technology & Infrastructure Library (ITIL), (Projects in a Controlled Environment) PRINCE and Skills Framework for the Information Age (SFIA)
- At least five years’ experience of transforming and managing significant ICT services in a large organization, preferably in a busy corporate environment and delivering ICT strategy/delivery is essential, across multiple organizations is desirable
- Experience of working with a senior management team to develop a business focused BT and information security strategies that will effectively support their business needs
- Must have Process Management knowledge and experience in translating business requirements into system requirements
- Strong drive to design and implement BT innovation agenda
Risk Management Knowledge
- Business continuity Management
- Disaster Recovery Planning: Responsible for develop and maintain Business Recovery plans in the event of power failure, damage to systems, and or operational failures.
- Know Your Customer including AML
- Operational Risk Management
Key Results Areas
- Developing and implementing bank strategies for the BT and Projects departments so as to manage current and future bank needs
- Developing and putting in place strategic operating plans and budget for BT and Projects departments that shall reflect the long-term objectives and priorities of the Bank.
- Ensuring overall security of the Bank including all banking systems
- Leveraging on technology by developing strategies that enable the Bank to compete in new and innovative ways
- Developing efficient and effective system controls throughout the Bank covering both financial and non-financial controls
- Managing Service Level Agreements and monitoring contracts within their stipulated timelines
- Developing effective compliance programs that meet statutory, regulatory and customer requirements to ensure that appropriate standards of conduct are established and complied with.
- Ensure timely completion of all BT projects to ensure timely completion in line with business plans and objectives
- Building and leading effective and cohesive teams that support business continuity
Setting performance targets for the various teams, monitoring performance and evaluation the teams.
Communications and Working Relations
- Board Members: – Reporting and advisory role on BT and Operations strategy
- Managing Director: Consultation on strategic and general management issues
- Executive Management: For direction and report on BT and Operations strategy and issues: source of advise and expertise
- Heads of Functions and staff: interact with internal clients to ensure continuous customer satisfaction & knowledge of the Bank strategy
- Head of HR: Identify training gaps, programs, staff welfare, leave management, performance management, disciplinary management, & ensure succession planning is embedded
- Internal Auditors: coordination and support of audits and examinations.
- Other Commercial Banks/Financial Institutions: Circulate both internal and external memos/circulars
- External Auditors: Coordinate, verify and implement Audit reviews
- BOU: Regulatory reporting and consultation
- External suppliers and vendors: for proposal SLA execution for value addition.