Location: Apapa, Lagos, Nigeria
In order for us to widen our talent pool of future Managing Directors, we will recruit for this new role as Deputy MD for one of our main terminals in Africa. The aim with the role is that the candidate will work in the Management Team of the Terminal, reporting to the MD and being responsible for a wide variety of tasks, in order to be exposed to all facets of managing a terminal. After 18-24 months, the candidate should be ready to move into an MD role in one of our terminals.
- An opportunity to be part of a high performance team that manages the Terminal.
- Direct influence on strategic level decisions.
- Being coached by a strong leader.
- 12 months coaching programme as part of the development.
- Working with a great variety of colleagues, partners, shareholders, authorities and other stake holders.
- Be involved in all day to day tasks of managing a Terminal.
- Direct management of allocated roles.
- This position contributes to the longer term business strategy for the terminal operation based on the overall company vision & strategy.
- The position will drive subordinated positions (and functions) to efforts of continuous modification of existing methods in order to increase productivity or to better manage costs & operational overheads.
- Manage the daily business in agreed upon areas/projects according to the agreed operating principles of the BU and relationships with customers.
- Establish business priorities to meet customer requirements.
- Ensure Financial procedures are aligned with norms & standards.
- Improve efficiencies in cost, productivity and customer service through proactive pursuance of development in technology & systems.
- Drive, develop, and deploy best practices within assigned areas and use of APMT Global systems and processes where available.
- Organize, coach, challenge, & develop staff.
- Reinforce APM Group culture, values and reputation while ensuring compliance with APM Group policies.
Who we are looking for
- Experience from managing a P/L (not just a function).
- Experience from working in an international company.
- Experience from heavy industry/unionized environment.
- Strong leadership and influencing skills with a collaborative work style, fostering cooperation and teamwork.
- A desire to be a terminal Managing Director.
- Advanced verbal and written communications skills in English.
- Able to handle company information with confidentiality and discretion.
- Minimum a college degree.
- Preference will be given to a candidate with work authorisation for Africa.
- French language skills will be an advantage.