APM Terminals is one of the world’s largest port and terminal operators as well as providing cargo support and container Inland Services. It is the largest port and terminal operating company in terms of overall geographic scope, operating a Global Terminal Network with interests in 63 operating port and terminal facilities in 39 countries on five continents. Additionally, there are seven new port projects in development, as well as over 160 Inland Services operations providing container transportation, management, maintenance and repair in 48 countries.
APM Terminals Nigeria is a newly created umbrella organization, overseeing all APM Terminals portfolios in Nigeria, including the container ports at Apapa and Onne, as well as Inland Services, and new multimillion investments such as the greenfield mega-port project and Free Trade Zone in Badagry, and inland service depot in Kano.
APM Terminals Nigeria aims at creating synergies and increasing business development in one of the world’s key growth markets, with the aspiration to become the recognized leader in port and inland operations in Nigeria, its hinterland, and West Africa by 2017. This vision entails being good guests and economic enablers for our stakeholders; knowing our customer and market needs and proactively investing in providing solutions; as well as attracting, developing and retaining the best people.
Based in Lagos and reporting to the Nigeria Country Manager, the General Manager Communication and Sustainability Nigeria is a new role and will work closely with Terminal and Inland Service management teams within Nigeria.
The General Manager Communication and Sustainability Nigeria is primarily responsible for creating value through communication and community involvement in APM Terminals Nigeria.
• To create and implement a communication plan (external to start with) and platform for APM terminals in Nigeria.
• To improve the brand name of APM Terminals in Nigeria amongst external stakeholders (such as government, partners, community, future and current employees).
• To manage CSR activities that fit to APM Terminals business.
• To implement a sustainability approach and strategy.
• To interact with the APMT Head Office in The Hague and provide accurate and timely reports as requested by them.
• To enforce A.P. Moller-Maersk Group culture, values and reputation and ensure compliance with A.P. Moller-Maersk Group policies.
• The successful candidate is preferably a Nigerian national with international experience and/or a multinational company background.
• Requires a university degree in business administration, economics, finance, communications, or related field.
• Requires at least 5 years of experience in external communications in a multinational company.
• A proven track record in CSR and sustainability work would be an advantage
• Experience in media and/or media relations would be an added advantage.
• Must be an effective and strong communicator, with the ability to transfer messages to different audiences.
• Requires a self-driven, hands on and persistent nature.
• Must be diplomatic and collaborative.
To the right candidate we offer an exciting and challenging position in a truly international, cultural diverse and busy environment where the candidate through commitment and high performance will have great possibilities of personal development. He/she will have the opportunity to work with a diverse range of internal and external stakeholders, as well as experienced leaders with a strong international background. The position will be based in Lagos.