About the role
We are looking for a skilled candidate to take up the position of Head of Human Resources to oversee all aspects of Human Resources practices and processes; support business needs and ensure the proper implementation of company strategy and objectives. The goal is to promote corporate values and employee engagement, and to enable business success through human resources management, including job design, recruitment, performance management, training & development, employment cycle changes, talent management, and facilities management services.
The successful incumbent will be both commercially minded as well as technically astute in the field of human resources / human capital. They need to have the academic knowledge as well as being willing to “lead by doing”. The incumbent will be expected to be able to take a blue sky concept / small amount of direction and turn it into a tangible deliverable within the human resources space, working independently from their line manager / executive, but effectively through their team.
- Develop and implement HR strategies and initiatives aligned with the overall business strategy
- Design and implementation of a development strategy for the HR Department.
- Create and monitor a human resources system that complies with top organizational objectives.
- Create comprehensive human resources policies and procedures that comply with the laws of Mozambique. Update as necessary.
- Manage the human resources budget, including establishing annual human resources budget and identifying budgetary needs and reporting to CEO, CFO as appropriate
- Bridge management and employee relations by addressing demands, grievances or other issues
- Counselling and disciplining employees, working with the specialized legal adviser.
Managing the relationship with the Workers Committee and Banking Union by driving the annual engagement plan.
Manage the recruitment and selection process
- Drive recruitment and retention of staff. Employee engagement. Orientation of new staff members, and training. Pre-screening, background investigation and credentialing of new staff members. Identify staffing needs, and identify hiring potentials based on budget.
- Roll out new recruitment policy.
- Deliver the recruitment plan for the year.
Nurture a positive working environment
- Propose changes and activities to improve team work, motivation and organizational culture – ensuring all staff participation and engagement.
- Maintain employee wellness program; provide educational workshops and training for employees on safety and wellness.
- Attend continuing education regarding employee safety, wellness, diversity and appropriate programs as necessary.
Oversee and manage a performance appraisal system that drives high performance.
- Develop consistent communications to support the effective adoption of the performance management process explaining the rationale and what is required from managers and employees.
- Support individuals and managers in developing team and individual goals that are relevant to their Department and aligned to business priorities and customer requirements.
- Coach managers to build strong individual and team performance on a regular basis.
- Ensure a common understanding and consistent application of the rating scale, and build managers’ capability and confidence in using the scale.
- Coach managers to have honest performance conversations during mid-year and year end reviews.
- Support managers in making appropriate performance rating decisions, and communicating the reasons and outcomes of these decisions effectively.
Maintain pay plan and benefits program
- Deliver Payroll by managing the relationship with the outsourcing supplier.
- Analyse wage and salary reports; create a comprehensive and competitive compensation program that is industry specific and aligns with organizational objectives.
- Schedule and conduct annual job evaluations. Recommend and plan pay structure revisions based on findings.
Assess training needs to apply and monitor training programs
- Ensure Organisation Training Plans for 2018 Capacity development are in place.
- Report to management and provide decision support through HR metrics
- Ensure submission of the weekly highlights reports every Thursday to EXCO.
- Produce monthly report to EXCO on all related HR matters.
- Quarterly Report to BoD and ARC.
- Ensure that all Group reporting needs are timely meet.
Ensure legal compliance throughout human resource management
- Identify legal requirements and government reporting regulations that affect human resource function. Ensure organization is in compliance with legal requirements and education managers regarding compliance accordingly.
- Timely submission of all HR related compliance obligations of the Company (as per Mozambican Law).
- Maintain a compliance calendar and report monthly to EXCO.
- Ensure all staff files are up to date with all corrective action on audit reports completed.
- Ensure accurate and timely processing of all staff payments included on payroll.
- Ensure leave roster for 2018 is in place and circulate the schedule to all Executives.
Requirements for the Role
- B.S. in Management or related field.
- Masters in HR or related field preferred.
- 5+ years’ increasingly responsible role in human resources.
- 2+ year’s supervisory experience.
- Experience of at least 5 years in similar role on an international banking environment.
- Deep knowledge of the Mozambican working environment and the regulatory labour environment.
- Experience in managing all aspects of human capital development.
- Experience with conducting HR Audits and the creation of HR policies will be advantageous
- Financial Services and/or Insurance sector experience
- Proven working experience as HR manager or other HR executive (at least 5 years).
- Proven track record of delivering complex initiatives which cross organisational and functional boundaries, managing risks, issues and stakeholders to deliver against timescales, budget, and quality targets.
- Advanced Computer literacy with emphasis on expert level use of Excel.
- Advanced analytical and statistical abilities.
- Corporate level communication skills, Reading and comprehension and Attention to detail
- Stress management, Optimum prioritization and Time management skills.
- Competence to build and effectively manage interpersonal relationships at all levels of the company
- In-depth knowledge of labour law and HR best practices