Our Client, a Newly established African Media Broadcasting Platform, is currently looking to hire a News Director.
- The News Director directs the activities of the news staff to develop story ideas, track issues and events, select reporters for coverage, schedule stories for Broadcast and schedule time for interviewing, writing, and editing.
- The News Director serves as a primary editor to insure news reports are produced in an effective, timely and responsible manner.
- The News Director acts as a proactive liaison to various internal and external constituencies to advance the station’s news programming. These may include the station programming and operations and development staff. These may also include other appropriate organisations and government agencies.
- The News Director is part of the news team and contributes content on a regular basis. The News Director may need to anchor newscasts, host talk programs, appear as a program guest, and produce various spots, features, special programs, web content, etc.
- The News Director helps set goals and monitor the performance of news personnel. Personnel management includes recruitment and hiring through the HR department (with the final approval of the CEO). The News Director manages the news department budget — including annual planning, monthly monitoring, and routine handling.
- The News Director helps, in liaison with the IT department, maintain equipment and information systems vital to news planning, news gathering, news production and news presentation.
- The News Director seeks opportunities to promote public contact to help ascertain public needs, build community engagement and bolster station success. The ND participates in station events and other activities as appropriate.
- The News Director adheres to deadlines and makes timely and effective decisions in situations requiring prompt attention. The News Director is the primary leader during crisis response on or off programming.
SELECTION CRITERIA – KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum ten years’ full-time professional experience in journalism — preferably in a multi-platform news environment.
- Familiarity with public media news programming standards and values.
- Possess a broad knowledge of local and regional issues.
- Must have presence and persona and the ability to work within a live program environment.
- Must have experience in broadcast production, web content, news writing and news editing.
- Must possess effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Preferred skills include management, online research, multimedia production, news presenting, news vetting, word and spreadsheet processing and operation of light office equipment.
SELECTION CRITERIA – ACADEMIC AND PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in journalism — or equivalent — required.
- MBA or equivalent qualification.
SELECTION CRITERIA – BEHAVIOURAL/INTERPERSONAL COMPETENCIES
- Must have an excellent memory for details, be able to meet daily deadlines under potentially stressful conditions.
- Ability to deal effectively with multiple competing tasks.
- Willingness to travel extensively.
- Genuine commitment to sustainable development.