About the company
Leading independent infrastructure fund that focuses on high-impact African projects mostly in the energy and transport sectors. Currently require a Senior Investment Officer with 10 years experience of non-routine financing or development of private or PPP infrastructure projects.
Purpose of role
The Senior/Principal Investment Officer role is to provide leadership, management and technical support to ensure the effective development and increased number of bankable projects for Africa50 PD.
|Reports To:||Project Development Director|
- Work across all the infrastructure sectors
- Develop a strong pipeline of project development investment opportunities through anticipating market trends and employing sector/country knowledge
- Execute Africa project development investments with a strong focus on achieving bankable projects
- Have a good understanding and the ability to structure investments across the financing spectrum from senior lending to equity
- Lead negotiation for investment documents (loan, inter-creditor, shareholders, share purchase, put and other agreements)
- Develop a thorough understanding of the power, transport and utilities sectors, including markets, major operators and technologies
- Have a good understanding of project and concession financing, policy issues, license conditions, tariff regimes and privatizations
- Build and maintain strong relationships with local/regional/global infrastructure companies, banking and multilateral partners, suppliers and government officials to further develop the sector, to build consensus around project proposals and develop bankable projects
- Lead and manage project teams, mentor and develop junior staff.
Knowledge, Skill and Experience
- Significant relevant work experience: At least 10 years of experience of non-routine financing or development of private or PPP infrastructure projects in challenging environments
- Knowledge of overall infrastructure sector trends; experience in emerging markets especially Africa is a plus
- Strong business development and client relationship skills, track record and ability to focus on clients’ needs effectively and identify potential business partners
- Ability to generate senior government officials’ support and to create sufficient trust and confidence between investors and governments while developing bankable project structures
- Ability to interact directly and independently with the senior management of potential clients, of financial and technical partners as well as senior government officials
- Strong inter-personal skills, ability to interact effectively with clients and colleagues from various cultural backgrounds; living experience in emerging countries is a plus
- Experience of successfully mentoring and developing junior investment staff.
Academic and professional qualification
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent.
- MBA, MSc or equivalent qualification.
- Deep understanding of how investments are structured
- Strong understanding of project and concession finance
- Sound knowledge of legal, policy, tax and regulatory matters
- Fluent English (French is a plus)
- Technical understanding of the power, transport and utilities sectors.
- Interest in Africa50’s mission, strategy and values
- Culturally sensitive and able to relate to people of diverse backgrounds
- Strong negotiation skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Able to build and maintain strong relationships at all levels
- Ability to lead, manage, mentor and develop staff
- Highly motivated, committed to highest ethical standards
- Willingness to travel extensively
- Genuine commitment to sustainable development