Trade Finance leadership has been identified as one of the key pillars of the Bank’s Strategy- IMPACT 2021 as the Bank plans to play a leadership role in African trade matters. The role helps the Bank to achieve its mission of “stimulating a consistent expansion and diversification of African trade so as to rapidly increase Africa’s share of global trade, while operating as a first class, profit oriented, socially responsible financial institution and a centre of excellence in African trade matters” by providing dedicated trade services expertise and providing overarching support to front office and other functions in the origination and risk management of trade financing to ensure sustainable growth of the business in line with the Impact 2021 – Africa Transformed Strategy.
The role of the position holder will be to provide back office operations support as well as middle office interactions in the processing/structuring of trade financing instruments including Letters of Credit, Bills for Collection and Guarantees. The job holder will ensure prompt services to customers in line with the Bank’s Banking Operations policies.
Duties and responsibilities
- Provide professional input into the organization of a sound “documentary credit unit” to support the Bank’s activities which will include but will not be restricted to the following components:
- Handling all forms of Letters of Credit including the issuance, confirming, advising, negotiating and amending;
- Handling documentary collections including incoming and outgoing collections and remittances as well as acceptances and avalisations;
- Issuing, amending, and liquidating all types of letters of guarantee (bid bond; performance; payment; standby and counter guarantees);
- Examination of documents/other claims presented under letters of credit and other trade instrument to determine their compliance to the terms and conditions set out in the instrument;
- Ensure relevant entries are passed including all the contingent liability entries, and monitor all the relevant GLs to ensure they reflect the correct information;
- Understand the dynamics of clean payments under trade finance, and able to support this function as and when required; and
- Helping in the management of correspondent banking relations to ensure good customer service
- Coordinating and reconciling customer accounting system with the general ledger in Finance Department
- Preparing accurate accounting and other reports for the information of Management.
- Liaising with customers through the front office functions; and
- Any other duties as may be assigned by Senior Management