Reporting to the Group CEO, the General Manager manages the hotel to maximize performance, profitability and return on investment as well as ensure guest and team member satisfaction. They must be a brand ambassador for Hemingways Collection and act with the highest levels of integrity and professionalism.
To accomplish this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily, motivate staff to deliver the highest levels of guest service and work with the Senior Executive team on strategy delivery.
- Manage the Hotel’s management team (HOD’s) and overall hotel targets to deliver an excellent Guest experience.
- Recruit and develop leaders who demonstrate strong functional expertise, creativity and entrepreneurial leadership skills to meet the business needs of the operation
- Sets goals and expectations for direct reports
- Ensure compliance with all laws and regulations that relate to the operations and all other departments of the hotel
- Facilitate the preparation and revision of hotel budgets and forecast for corporate submission and approvals
- Ensure that monthly financial outlooks for Rooms, Food & Beverage, Admin & General, are on target and accurate.
- With approval from Senior Management, implement capital expenditure decisions in line with business performance
- Be accountable for responsibilities of department heads and take ownership of all guest complaints
- Partner with the Group Financial Controller to manage cash flow, assets and costs to optimize profit and deliver against the budget
- Contribute to sales and marketing activities and results, conduct or participate in sales and marketing strategy and revenue meetings
- Monitor sales goals and strategies to ensure alignment with positioning and pricing
- Create and maintain positive relationships with key revenue producing clients and organizations within the local community
- Ensure compliance with SLH brand standards and define expectations to exceed audit requirements
- Direct daily Operations meetings to ensure consistent communication, problem resolution and excellent guest service
- Ensure service and product consistently reflect the standards of Hemingways Collection and SLH hotels
- Foster employee engagement to provide excellent service and maintain an Open Door policy and work with HR to improve employee satisfaction and increase morale
- Utilize guest feedback to establish long-term improvements in products and services
- Review the Review Pro GRI report, competitive shopping reports, utilizing other resources to maintain an awareness of the property’s market position
- Strategize with F&B department to ensure maximum profitability
- Assisting in Hemingways Residences sales as and when required
- Perform other duties as assigned
Beautiful Watamu, 105 kilometres north of Mombasa on Kenya’s Indian Ocean coast.
Hemingways Watamu is the original property within iconic Kenyan brand, Hemingways Collection. Founded in 1988 and recently benefitting from a multi-million-pound refurbishment, this stunning coastal resort lies within the borders of the Watamu Marine National Park, a protected area of outstanding beauty where silver sands meet the crystal waters of the Indian Ocean.
Hemingways is Africa’s luxury boutique hotel collection, an award-winning portfolio offering unforgettable experiences in remarkable locations. Recent years have seen the acquisition of two new properties, along with a significant refurbishment programme, as Hemingways forges a global reputation for African luxury, while deepening its links with communities and conservation groups to ensure these experiences last for generations.
For its employees, Hemingways offers an amazing experience too:
- Skills and Development
- A team of senior leaders across the portfolio including some of the leading lights in African hospitality. This group is a perfect resource for knowledge-sharing and support.
- The brand and organisation are growing. Here you can make an impact, developing the experience which will define an African icon.
- This is a Kenyan brand, born and raised in the country. The impact you make at Hemingways is part of the story and progress of Kenya.
- Hemingways works in partnership with local communities and the Kenya Wildlife Service. At Hemingways Watamu you will be a steward of the Watamu Marine National Park. Few hotel leadership roles offer the opportunity to make this kind of impact.
- A competitive package in a beautiful setting you will remember for the rest of your life.