Vision & Purpose
The purpose of the role is to help the Bank achieve its mission of “stimulating a consistent expansion of and diversification of African trade so as to rapidly increase Africa’s share of global trade, while operating as a first class, profit oriented, socially responsible financial institution and a centre of excellence in African trade matters” by assisting the Bank to implement Intra-African trade and investment promotion initiatives.
Nature & Scope
The successful candidate will support the Managing Director, Intra-African Trade Initiative (IATI) and Head of Unit to implement specific interventions that seek to market or promote the flow of trade and investment between and among African countries and between Africa and Africans in Diaspora, including the following:
- Supporting Regional Economic Communities (RECs) to promote trade and investment initiatives and programmes.
- Supporting African corporates to explore investment opportunities through business matchmaking, trade missions and forums.
- Supporting the emergence of Business Councils as an effective means of encouraging business exchanges between and among African countries towards promoting Intra-African trade and investments.
- Supporting the conceptualization, planning and implementation of the Intra-African Trade Fairs.
- Development and implementation of the Bank’s Pan-African Trade and Investment Promotion Agency (PATIPA) initiative in support of the African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA). The candidate will be expected to participate in the AfCFTA negotiations on Investments.
Duties & Responsibilities
Assist IATI in undertaking the following Trade and Investment Promotion Initiatives and Programmes:
- Develop and manage relationships with organised private sector focused on promoting Intra-African trade and investment.
- Support the effective use of the exhibition spaces at Afreximbank-African Trade Centres.
- Identify African countries that the Bank will provide business and match-making support towards attracting investments to promote inflow of African Direct Investments.
- Develop a programme to support and strengthen Trade and Investment Promotion initiatives of Regional Economic Communities (RECs).
- Supporting the Bank to ensure the development and implementation of the Pan-African Trade and Investment Promotion Agency (PATIPA).
- Supporting programmes of Export Promotion Agencies, Investment Promotion Councils, Business Councils etc.
- Preparing an annual Intra-African Trade Fair Work Plan and Budget for Management’s Approval.