The role is supposed to help the Bank to achieve its mission “stimulating a consistent expansion of and diversification of African trade so as to rapidly increase Africa’s share of global trade, while operating as a first class, profit oriented, socially responsible financial institution and a centre of excellence in African trade matters” by finding and developing opportunities for business development in project finance across all member states and participating states.
The role of the position holder will be to participate in drawing up annual business development plans, developing pipeline of viable projects in the extractive industry, resourcing the Client Relations teams and implement these plans with support from the Head of Project & Asset Based Finance.
Duties and responsibilities
- Originating and completing commercially viable transactions in the extractive industry across all segments in different member countries in liaison with the branch teams and with support from the Head of Project & Asset Based Finance;
- Evaluate and appraising proposals from clients requiring financing in the Extractive sector and giving feedback with the aim of making the transactions bankable;
- Structuring projects, developing and negotiating term sheets to execution;
- Participate in the preparation of annual business development plans, in relations to extractive projects;
- Translate business development plans into real business for the Bank from all segments of extractive market;
- Developing, marketing and managing products cutting across multiple segment in the extractive industry;
- Manage given portfolios, from the process of origination, credit approval and contracting to ensure that the process is finalised within optimal time;
- Supporting the credit department with relevant information to facilitate the credit process and the legal department in the facilitation of transaction documentation;
- In line with the above, liaise with the Banking Operations department to ensure that once approval is obtained, disbursement is done within the required timelines and that the portfolio is managed according to the terms of the agreement and to the client’s satisfaction, until expiry of the same;
- Establishing ties with market participants including international banks, African financial institutions, (project finance intermediaries), project sponsors and developers, corporates and commodity boards and organizations;
- Train and equip the Client Relations Team on products for the extractive sector so that they can market it and look out for opportunity for Afreximbank to intervene;
- Any other duties as may be assigned by senior management.