The purpose is to provide, under the guidance and supervision of the Board, leadership in the bank’s strategy formulation and implementation and oversight to both business operations and support functions. The CEO will lead the bank, ensure effective management of risk and compliance, enable effective relationships with regulators and report to the Board of Directors on all necessary matters.
- Provide strategic and operational leadership in all areas of the bank.
- Overall responsibility for driving the transformation agenda of the bank to reach its strategic aspirations.
- Provide credible and agile leadership to the Executive Leadership Team, ensuring that they actively participate in the Team, contribute to the strategic thinking and growth of the Bank.
- Setting long-term and short-term business goals and holding individual executive team members responsible for achieving these goals.
- Ensuring high employee engagement levels and a culture which enables customer focus and optimum performance.
- Responsible for delivering effective people processes including talent management, succession planning, performance management and reward.
- Provide strategic advice and guidance to the Board ensuring that they are informed on all relevant Bank matters.
- Responsible for effective risk management and compliance.
- Responsible for relationships with regulators and government agencies.
- Responsible for ensuring effective relationships with key customers.
- Leadership of business development.
- Lead the achievement of the Bank’s financial goals as per the approved strategic plan, ensuring sound financial management of the Bank.
- Responsible for the annual budget and its implementation.
- Ensure compliance with statutory and regulatory requirements on financial reporting.
- Report to the Board on a quarterly basis against the budget.
- Required experience & competencies
Education & Training:
A master’s degree preferably in business administration, finance or other relevant discipline.
A post-graduate master’s and/or professional qualification would be an added advantage.
Skills & Experience:
- At least 15 years’ work experience in commercial banking (top 3 bank in its country), with particular focus on retail banking, of which at least 6 years should have been in a Senior Executive Management/ Leadership role, preferably including the CEO level.
- Demonstrated experience in business development and the management of change.
- Strong understanding of retail and corporate banking and Fin-Tech trends.
- An inspirational leader with a track record for leading culture change and organisational transformation.
- A deep understanding of risk management in a financial services organization.
- A strategic thinker with strong analytical and problem-solving skills and demonstrated success at the implementation of strategy.
- Familiarity with the financial services industry in East Africa or emerging markets.
- Demonstrated ability to establish credible and sustainable relationships with a broad range of stakeholders (including customers, industry peers, and regulators).
- Excellent communications and engagement skills.
- Strong attention to detail and personal effectiveness.
- High-level of integrity and strong entrepreneurial skills.
- Strong skills in relationship building.
- Self-drive and initiative.
- Strong leader with soft-power skills.