APM Terminals is one of the world’s largest port and terminal operators as well as providing cargo support and container Inland Services. It is the largest port and terminal operating company in terms of overall geographic scope, operating a Global Terminal Network with interests in 63 operating port and terminal facilities in 39 countries on five continents. Additionally, there are seven new port projects in development, as well as over 160 Inland Services operations providing container transportation, management, maintenance and repair in 48 countries.
Based in Tema, Ghana and reporting to the West & Central Africa Cluster Top, the Cluster Commercial Manager West & Central Africa Inland Services will be responsible to direct commercial activities within the WCA Cluster, thus helping to establish and subsequently execute the commercial strategies for the Cluster and the individual countries respectively.
The West & Central Africa Cluster consists of 8 operating entities with presence in Ghana, Cameroon, Mauritania, Senegal, Mali and Ivory Coast.
The Inland Operation is primarily responsible for Import and Export full and empty container storage and related services, reefer management, bulk and break-bulk stevedoring and warehousing. The operation predominantly provides services to shipping lines and direct customers as well as clearing agents, transporters and cargo owners.
This position is strategic and tactical in nature, with specific focus on driving Commercial performance, taking accountability for Cluster commercial effectiveness and execution.
- The incumbent is expected to provide measurable inputs into the Cluster’s business strategy within the scope of the role.
- The position will be responsible for setting & delivering commercial objectives which are within the strategy & business plans of the Cluster.
- The incumbent will be expected to be creative in making improvements (enhancements and modifications) to existing systems, practices and approaches and influence working methods to meet customer needs & improve productivity.
- The position is multi-dimensional, encompassing all business dimensions.
- Specific tasks and areas of responsibility include:
- Leading the translation of the Commercial strategy into business targets, budgets and tangible plans.
- Guiding country commercial managers on budget preparations and monitoring and in establishing strategic marketing plans to achieve the Cluster’s commercial objectives.
- Ensuring development of a highly professional relationship with decisions makers in high level across border customers’ organisations.
- Driving the customer value proposition of APM Terminals across the cluster to secure growth and profitability.
- Leading the development of overall standards and guidelines for commercial, including pricing, service, promotion, advertising and PR.
- Driving, developing and deploying best practices within the Cluster’s commercial function.
- Identifying, developing and overseeing business opportunities – Cluster/ regional wide.
- Analysing marketing programmes and adjusts strategy and/or tactics to increase effectiveness.
- Reviewing analysis of marketing surveys on current and new product/service, concepts in order to recommend future development.
- Overseeing the preparation of tariff and cost analyses and comparative studies/reports.
- Managing relationships with key accounts local & international.
- Assisting when necessary in establishing or reviewing customers.
- Measuring and communicates commercial results to the organisation (periodically).
- The position requires a Professional Standard of Knowledge to lead teams through functional/general expertise in the Commercial and associated functions.
- Minimum college degree in business, marketing or related discipline. Master’s degree in marketing will be preferable.
- Proven direct marketing/sales experience in Maritime industry.
- Proven management experience from the terminal or shipping industry or alternatively related industry within supply chain management.
- Detailed understanding of the various links with other functional areas.
- Proven track record and international experience within B2B Sales & Marketing.
- Excellent negotiation and relationship building skills on all levels.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to communicate across organisations.
- Trustworthy, ambitious and able to work highly independently and in teams.
- Ability to provide leadership, obtain cooperation and promote a team environment to meet objectives.
- Business level fluency in English and French.
To the right candidate we offer an exciting and challenging position in a truly international, culturally diverse and busy environment where the candidate through commitment and high performance will have great possibilities of personal development. He/she will have the opportunity to work with a diverse range of internal and external stakeholders, as well as experienced leaders with a strong international background. Further, the incumbent will have the opportunity to get enhanced exposure to a service provider set up & marketing of related services, as well as general exposure to management in the Inland Services. Relevant next career steps could be CCO in a larger or more complex terminal, a senior commercial position either at the regional or corporate level, or a country manager role for Inland Services. The position will be based in Tema, Ghana.