The role holder will be expected to work closely with and support the Area General Managers (WACA & SEA), Area Finance Managers (WACA & SEA) and the wider Co finance organisation to ensure consistency and best practice sharing across our processes.
In addition, they will support and ensure the adherence to statutory and other local filing requirements in all locations.
Job Accountabilities/Key Responsibilities
Internal control and compliance
- Maintaining a strong control environment, particularly by reviewing the areas monthly balance sheet controls file, solving internal audit issues, enhancing financial controls (as per the FCC);
- Ensuring that robust and effective financial controls are in place across the business.
- Assurance and adherence to Group or regional policies.
- Coordinating regional control reviews in conjunction with the Area Finance Managers and country finance managers and maintaining a rectification plan for any issues identified.
- Supporting internal audit in the delivery of their audits, including support in audit issue follow-up and closure.
- Management of the Financial Controls Checklist process within Africa, including ensuring action plans are in place to improve any low scoring areas (especially for the defined critical controls).
- Acting as Security Champion (primary or backup) for all countries, ensuring appropriate segregation of
- Ownership of the Africa DOA (Delegation of Authority) – including assuring adherence to it.
Group and other reporting:
- Managing the Africa internal management reporting structures and ensuring relevant to current business activity.
- Supporting the business in adopting new policies from the Group or those developed at a local level as necessary. Ongoing monitoring and ensuring adherence to these.
- Coordinating closely with Area and AI Tax function on entity set up and tax related accounting and reporting matters
- Ensuring treasury and foreign exchange issues are identified and managed efficiently through PLC Treasury function.
Compliance with statutory reporting and other requirements
- Coordinate and ensure regional compliance with the local regulatory and tax requirements through regular contact with external providers of professional services and update on the requirements and working closely with the tax compliance team and the Africa tax managers (WACA & SEA);
- Ensuring timely production and filing of statutory reporting in the Region;
- When these activities are partly or fully outsourced, managing the performance of the providers;
- Act as an interface between local team, Group Reporting teams/Company Secretary and auditors.
- Ensuring compliance with local GAAP and regulations;
Improvement projects & initiatives
- Leading process improvement projects for Africa Finance organization such as system enhancement, deployment of new software and tools, process optimization, etc;
- Support Africa mgmt. by designing adequate processes, defining resources needed and deploying the new activities;
- Defining streamline processes between area teams and external providers for cost and time effective exchanges of information and receipt of deliverables;
- Periodically assess the scope of the outsourced services and the quality of the providers and propose and implement changes when appropriate;
Person Specification/Job Requirements
- University degree
- Professional accounting qualification
- 10 years post qualifying experience
- Sound systems knowledge and experience working with ERP (Tagetik and M3)
- Process improvement and systems innovation experience
- Fluent English. French and Portuguese would be beneficial.
- Advanced Excel and Powerpoint skills
- Having managed finance teams in a multinational environment
- Control and process design experience.
- High attention to detail and at same time big picture appreciation
- Change orientation
- Leading others
- Influencing without authority
- Confidentiality is a must
- Courage and conviction
Key Role Interactions
- Africa Managing Director
- Africa Head of Finance
- Area Managing Directors
- Finance Managers in the countries
- Head of Internal Controls – APS
- PLC Head of Financial Controls
- PLC Financial Controller
Work Environment and Physical Requirements
- Based in Johannesburg, South Africa
- Available for travel within Africa 4 to 6 times per year