The role is expected to help the Bank to achieve its mission “stimulating a consistent expansion of and diversification of African trade so as to rapidly increase Africa’s share of global trade, while operating as a first class, profit oriented, socially responsible financial institution and a centre of excellence in African trade matters” by providing independent and objective assurance and consulting services, which adds value and improves the operations of the Bank.
The role holder will be responsible for the planning, execution and reporting on assigned internal audit projects in line with approved annual risk-based internal audit plan.
Duties and responsibilities
- Predominantly focus on internal audit projects, participating in the planning of specific assignments, driving and concluding fieldwork within set timeframes, and reporting of audit findings and observations using approved audit methodology;
- Maintain quality work paper documentations that adequately support audit findings and conclusions;
- Liaise with Auditees at all stages of the audit and manage the presentation of draft audit findings to stakeholders with a view to obtaining necessary buy in, including management response commitments;
- Propose recommendations to address the established root cause of observed issues to the respective areas and follow up implementation of agreed management action plans;
- Provide expertise in subject areas to help advise management on risks and controls, emerging risks, and international best practices;
- Assist the Head of Internal Audit Unit with other assignments including involvement in the development of internal audit policies and working practices.
Skills, Knowledge and Attitude
- Master’s degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Economics, Finance or related fields from a recognized University;
- Relevant professional qualifications in Accounting or Auditing such as ACA, ACCA, CA, CPA, CIA etc.
- Minimum of 8 years of audit experience preferably in the financial services industry or consulting;
- Experience in auditing Trade Finance, Project/Development Financing and Treasury activities will be an advantage;
- Demonstrable understanding of Risk-Based Internal Audit (RBIA), risk management principles and corporate governance practices and frameworks;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English combined with ability to build compelling business cases and adapt style in order to gain buy in. Knowledge of the Bank’s other working languages is an added advantage (French, Arabic and Portuguese);
- Strong analytical skills, including conducting audit in an automated environment;
- Self-motivated and ability to drive work to conclusion and meet deadlines with minimal supervision. The candidate should be able to work independently as well as a cohesive member of a small team;
- Ability to work effectively in an evolving and challenging multi-cultural environment.