The African Export-Import Bank (Afreximbank) is a Multilateral Financial Institution established in 1993 by African governments, African private and institutional investors as well as non-African financial institutions and private investors for the purposes of financing and promoting intra and extra African trade.
As a Manager, Syndications you will be responsible for originating, structuring, executing and distributing syndicated loans arranged by the Bank. They will also be required to assist other departments of the Ba in syndicating and selling participations in facilities originated by them.
Key Areas of Responsibilities:
- Secure syndicated loan mandates from existing and potential clients of the Bank
- Assist in structuring large transactions to make them easy candidate for syndications
- Participating in selling funded and unfunded risk participations
- Market the Bank’s Syndicated finance product to the widest possible group of co-financiers including DFIs, ECAs, commercial banks, African financial institutions, African multilaterals, Insurers and other financial institutions
- Coordinate and/or participate in deal road-shows and co-financing partner calling programmes to support expansion of the Bank’s syndication activities
- Active implementation of all aspects of the Bank’s syndication policies and procedures.
- Prepare syndicated deal documentation including teasers, mandate documents, term-sheets, and information memoranda that will be used to market syndicated deals
- Building finance models necessary for making business cases for deals in a variety of sectors, such as oil and gas, power and telecoms
- Coordinate borrower due diligence, deal structuring and pricing negotiations.
- Conduct market soundings and circulate deal information to prospective syndicate partner banks and financial institutions
- Execute mandated transactions
- Asset Sales: As part of the syndications team to implement the Bank’s asset sale policy by identifying existing assets for potential secondary sale and obtaining market feedback on appetite levels
- Conduct syndicated loan market research on pricing and deal structures to facilitate efficient distribution of transactions arranged by the Bank , including the secondary market pricing for assets for sale
- Providing market pricing and risk appetite feedback to the Bank’s management and deal origination teams for their consideration of all syndicated facilities
- Establish and maintain a diversified network of syndicated loan/co-financing partners including DFIs, ECAs, multilaterals, international commercial banks, African financial institutions credit insurance companies
- Develop and maintain strong network of senior level client contacts strong client relationships to facilitate securing of syndication mandates
- Manage the Bank’s relationships with wide network of professional advisors, consultants and deal originators to facilitate syndicated deal due diligence, including debt management service providers such as Thomson-Reuters, Debt Domain etc.
- Devise and implement enhanced cooperation in syndication between the Bank ECAs and DFIs
- Good first degree in a related area and a Master’s degree in economics, banking & finance, or MBA a recognized University. A professional qualification in Banking or International Trade Finance or other related disciplines may be accepted in lieu of a postgraduate degree
- Sound experience of at least 8 years with a leading organisation and familiarity and working knowledge with the trade and project finance products to be offered to clients, including syndicated loans, co-financing, club deals, correspondent banking products including letters of credit, structured trade finance, project-related financing
- At least 5 years of experience in the syndicated loan market and good understanding of the African debt markets, with proven background in fund raising, syndications, credit analysis, financial modelling, information memoranda preparation and business development activities
- Ability to communicate and function in a culturally diverse and change oriented setting and therefore knowledge of the workings of the main segments of the African project and trade finance markets
- Ability to engage senior officials of banks, corporates and governments to optimize co-financing, risk-sharing, syndication and funding opportunities between the Bank and such counterparties
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English. Knowledge of the Bank’s other working languages (Arabic, French & Portugese) is an added advantage
- Willingness to travel extensively and to work long hours where required in order to achieve the Bank’s objectives
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities, including ability to build and nurture relationships with internal and external counterparties to attain goals