The role is supposed to help the Bank to achieve its mission “stimulating a consistent expansion of and diversification of African trade so as to rapidly increase Africa’s share of global trade, while operating as a first class, profit oriented, socially responsible financial institution and a centre of excellence in African trade matters” by finding and developing opportunities for business development in trade finance, corporate finance and investment banking across all member states and participating states.
The role of the position holder will be to participate in drawing up annual business development plans in trade and corporate finance and to implement these plans with support from the Head of Trade Finance. The job holder’s main responsibility will be for the structured trade finance and corporate financing portfolio.
Duties and responsibilities
- Originating and completing trade finance transactions across a spectrum of sectors in different African countries in liaison with the branch teams and with support from the Head of Trade Finance;
- Structuring transactions, developing and negotiating term sheets to execution;
- Participate in the preparation of annual business development plans, covering all aspects of international trade finance;
- Translate business development plans into real business for the Bank from all segments of trade finance market e.g:
- Letters of Credit
- Bills of Exchange
- Factoring and Forfaiting;
- Remittance-backed business;
- Collateral managed warehouse financing;
- Receivables backed financing
- Pre-export and pre-shipment financing etc.
- Developing, marketing and managing Afreximbank’s programmes and facilities as applicable to job holder’s portfolio ;
- Design schemes and road-shows for establishing market presence with emphasis on broadening the geographic scope of the Bank’s activities;
- Manage the structured trade finance and corporate financing portfolio, from the process of origination, credit approval and contracting to ensure that the process is finalised within optimal time;
- Supporting the credit department with information to facilitate the credit process and the legal department in the facilitation of transaction documentation;
- In line with the above, liaise with the Banking Operations department to ensure that once approval is got, disbursement is done within the required timelines and that the portfolio is managed according to the terms of the agreement and to the client’s satisfaction, until expiry of the same;
- Developing relationships with major commodity traders, operating in Africa, exporters and other international players with interests in Africa including Olam, Glencore, etc;
- Should also develop relationships major financial institutions operating in the trade finance market in Africa, including international banks, African financial institutions (trade finance intermediaries) and corporates; and
- Any other duties as may be assigned by senior management.
Skills, Knowledge and Attitude
- First and Postgraduate degrees in Business Administration, Banking or Finance from a recognized University;
- A professional qualification in Banking or International Trade Finance will be an added advantage;
- Sound experience of at least 8 years with a leading organisation and familiarity with the major trade finance products to be offered to clients especially syndication, co-financing, club deals, correspondent banking products including letters of credit, factoring, forfeiting, structured trade finance, carbon financing, corporate finance risk participations, project-related financing and considerable knowledge of how these work;
- Ability to communicate and function in a culturally diverse and change oriented setting and therefore knowledge of the workings of the main segments of the trade finance market and the participants in major regions of Africa;
- Must have an understanding of international trade and trade finance rules, including International Chamber of Commerce Rules of international trade (UCP, URDG, etc.);
- Ability to meet senior officials of banks, corporates and governments and win their confidence that the specialist’s products will meet the needs of these parties;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English. Knowledge of the Bank’s other working languages is an added advantage (French, Arabic and Portuguese);
- Proven experience in marketing trade and project finance products. The candidate must demonstrate experience and knowledge of designing and selling structured trade finance products;
- Willingness to travel extensively and to work long hours where required in order to achieve the Bank’s objectives; and
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities, including ability to organize and manage human resources to attain goals.