Exim Bank (Tanzania) Ltd, is a locally established commercial Bank in Tanzania since August 1997. It continues to remain in the forefront of providing quality banking services in the Country. Within a short span of 18 years of its existence, the Bank has built strong brand equity through its geographical reach, innovative products, relationship management and ability to provide a faster turnaround in services; and in the process building a loyal customer base.
It is the first bank in Tanzania to have established banking footprint overseas – Union of Comoros (2007) &Republic of Djibouti (2011).
Currently, they are a seeking a Market, Credit & Strategic Risk (MCSR) Manager to be based in Tanzania.
Reporting to: Head, Risk and Compliance
Direct Reports: 2 – 3
Purpose of Role
Market, Credit & Strategic Risk Management (MCSR) works closely with the business units and control groups to help ensure the Bank has a transparent, consistent and comprehensive programme for managing Market risk, credit risk & strategic risks across the bank. This team designs, implements and monitors the firm-wide risk framework that ensures maximum value is created from synergy in these three risk management disciplines. This role will provide the leadership and direction for the MCSR team. The role will require collaborating with various stakeholders to build a sound MCSR framework that conforms to the risk appetite established by Board of Directors. This includes implementing a MCSR and related policies, establishing limits, leading the development of MCSR analytics and reports, monitoring existing activities and advising in regards to new trading & business activities or significant events in the market place.
Key Areas of Responsibilities:
- Develop, Execute and Lead Strategy/Operations (70%)
- Review and challenge the overall risk profile of the business areas and ensure actions are taken to manage risk exposures within the parameters set by the Board
- Jointly lead market risk oversight committees
- Develop, document and maintain market risk management policies and oversee their approval
- Monitor and report key trends, changes in the external environment and horizon risks
- Review and challenges business certification of compliance with components of the risk management framework
- Understand, monitor and report market risk exposures
- Define and lead the implementation of market risk metrics
- Establish market risk limits and authorities
- Ensure proper market risk governance
- Lead the development of a risk quantification, reporting and control infrastructure
- Partner with other risk teams in assessing the risk and capital implications of new products and innovations
- Responsible for providing oversight, advice and challenge on the bank’s risk appetite.
- Management of the risk appetite setting processes.
- Recommend risk appetite to the Head of Risk & Compliance (HR&C).
- Ensure the HR&C Board receive regular management information that compares the risk appetite set for the bank against its actual risk profile
- Responsible for the assessment of the banks’ business strategy and its execution in line with bank’s risk profile & market conditions, and on key to advice where the vision may be lost in the daily operations of the organisation.
- Ensure serious risk failures with strategic impact are timely escalated to the Head of Risk & Compliance, and an effective escalation process is set i.e. to HR&C, Management EXCO, CEO, and to Board/BRMC, and ensuring an effective investigation/risk review is carried out to identify the cause of the failure, recommending change to mitigate this risk.
- Develop, operate and maintain an effective strategic risk management framework
- Promote a culture of strong strategic risk governance, with open and forward-looking debate on business decisions and the potential impact on stakeholders, the effectiveness of the risk and control systems, and remaining in compliance with laws and regulations.
- Develop thought leadership on innovative ways of managing strategic risk and its related impact.
- Present to the HR&C, and to the Management EXCO latest external and internal developments in respect of strategic risk impact and latest thought leadership in this discipline.
- Drive development of MI that is dynamic, is under constant review to ensure that it is up to date, and reflects current thinking and approach on strategic risk.
- Drive a powerful collaborative agenda in conjunction with functional and business head that ensures issues are identified, mitigated and operating models adapted that embrace the changing risk landscape.
- Drive enhancement to team performance and achievement of team goals
- Provide staff with leadership and guidance to improve their work product and increase client effectiveness
The successful applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Significant experience in risk, with fluency in market risk & credit risk; sound understanding of risk management principles
- Strong project management and organization skills with the ability to multitask and prioritise; ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Experience in management by influence, facilitating and gaining consensus
- Experience with regulatory interaction, ability to handle requests and discuss issues with regulators
- Strong business acumen
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written; ability to produce concise and effective presentations
- Ability to communicate complex quantitative analysis results in a clear, precise, and actionable manner
- Strong understanding of financial products across Fixed Income, market risk & Credit risk
- Strong understanding of the drivers and measures of market risk, credit risk & strategic risk
- Strategic mind-set, with excellent knowledge and understanding of banking products and organisations