PURPOSE OF ROLE
The Investment Officer role is to support the Senior Investment Officer in providing management and technical support to ensure the effective development and increased number of bankable projects for Africa50 PD.
- Work across all the infrastructure sectors
- Evaluate structure, negotiate, and close new transactions, portfolio restructurings, rescheduling, capital increases, equity sales, etc.
- Develop a strong pipeline of good quality investment opportunities
- Develop innovative and appropriate financial structures for straightforward transactions
- Participate in negotiations; use negotiation skills to overcome impasses and finalize negotiations in straightforward transactions
- Work with senior staff to develop a strong pipeline of good quality investment opportunities
- Build and maintain strong relationships with clients, global and regional private businesses, banking and multilateral partners and government officials to further develop the sector and to develop specific investment opportunities
- Identify and evaluate opportunities to increase the social development impact of new or portfolio projects.
SELECTION CRITERIA – KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND EXPERIENCE
- Hold an MBA or Master’s degree or its equivalent in Business, Finance or Economics.
- Hold a degree in Engineering: Civil, Structures ….or related
- Have a minimum of six 6 years of relevant experience (max 9) in project investment and transaction in the transport sector: – Roads , Rail, Bridges, terminals, airports, logistic platforms etc….
- Sound understanding of basic engineering principles
- Project management experience (certification a plus)
- Solid understanding of EPC and O&M contracts
- experience in the fields of corporate project finance, structured finance, transaction advisory services
- Demonstrated track record of at least 2 transactions in transport sector.
- Awareness of the latest trends and developments in financing transport infrastructure
- Experience with Credit enhancement instruments and good knowledge of tailored products for sector based investments
- Ability to communicate effectively in English and French
- Competence in the use of standard software (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint).
- At least 4-8 years’ experience in finance with a proven track-record of sourcing, structuring and closing investments
- Knowledge of relevant industry sector trends, experience in emerging markets a plus • Strong financial and credit skills; demonstrated ability to structure a variety of financial instruments (debt and equity)
- Business development and client relationship skills, track record and ability to focus on clients’ needs effectively
- Ability to interact directly and independently with the senior management of potential clients, of financial and technical partners as well as senior government officials
- Strong inter-personal skills, ability to interact effectively with clients and colleagues from various cultural backgrounds
- Ability to mentor junior investment staff.
SELECTION CRITERIA – ACADEMIC AND PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATION
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent
- MBA or equivalent qualification.
SELECTION CRITERIA – TECHNICAL COMPETENCIES
- Deep understanding of how infrastructure sector investments are structured
- Strong understanding of project and concession finance
- Sound knowledge of legal, policy, tax and regulatory matters
- Fluent English, fluency in other languages, especially French is a plus
- Familiarity with the power, transport and utilities sectors.
SELECTION CRITERIA – BEHAVIOURAL/ INTERPERSONAL COMPETENCIES
- Interest in Africa50’s mission, strategy and values
- Culturally sensitive and able to relate to people of diverse backgrounds
- Strong negotiation skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Able to build and maintain strong relationships at all levels
- Ability to mentor and develop staff
- Highly motivated, committed to highest ethical standards
- Willingness to travel extensively
- Genuine commitment to sustainable development.