GE is the world’s Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
About the role
The Mechanical Works (Turbine) Engineer will provide a professional Engineering service on the full maintenance cycle from development of scopes of work, spares identification, inputs into planning, execution of scope, close out and the development of Works Engineering skills and experience to ensure plant availability, reliability and performance improvements on Turbine Centreline components.
Provide an engineering support service
• Evaluate and interpret technical reports, specifications and deviations and make recommendations on repair procedures, scopes of work and instructions timely
• Review and compile Processes, procedures and specifications
• Compilation of Engineering specific work instructions, procedures and specifications
• Review technical work instructions
• Technical development and improvement of procedures, quality plans and maintenance plans
• Ensure quality plans and check sheets are in line with OEM procedures, specifications and OEM/Rotek training manuals
• Review of previous problem areas and solutions required and incorporate into quality plans
• Technical development and improvement of contract plans, scopes of work, procedures, quality and maintenance plans
• Investigate and develop improved and alternative repair and refurbishment processes and methods
• Assist in the performance of technical investigations and root cause analyses and report. Recommendations to be backed up with technical calculations, references, etc.
• Investigate and make recommendations on new tooling and equipment, and to improve on existing tooling and equipment efficiency
• To improve methods during machining, fitting and project management operations in the Works
Development of scopes of work and input into planning process
• Scope of work development • Compile and assist in the compilation of scopes of work as required by Works Engineering Staff
• Input into Project Panning • Assist project leaders and Works Engineering Staff when required
Ensure the development and enhancement of works engineering skills
• Provide practical hands on training on technical activities including; scopes of work, dismantling, inspection & reporting, refurbishment, reassembly, and trouble shooting
• Meet monthly with the Works Engineering Manager (WEM) and review the progress of the training/developmental program
• Compile work instructions / procedures
Customer and interdepartmental
• Liaise closely with the Senior Works Engineers and Works Engineers
• All communication and feedback within the organisation or to the client must be done through the appropriate Works Engineering Structures
• Foster and maintain sound relationships with members of the Engineering, Project Services, Steam Maintenance, and Works Service Departments to ensure Engineering and Business objectives are achieved
Ensure compliance with safety health environment and quality
• Ensure compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Rotek Engineering SHE System requirements
• Ensure compliance with the Eskom Plant Safety Regulations.
• Stop unsafe work activities and report to the Project / Site Manager for rectification
• Ensure compliance with policies, procedures and instructions.
• Attend all toolbox talks, safety videos and related safety activities within the Works Engineering Department.
• Conduct a contractual evaluation with the WEM once every 6 months to evaluate the performance of this Consultancy.
• Institute actions to improve the Service for areas identified in the evaluation
• 20 years’ experience at Mechanical Technical Field Advisor or related
• Must be fully literate in English, in reading, writing and speaking, with technical report writing skills and able to communicate in English at all times
• Above average interpersonal, communication and leadership skills
• Strong customer orientation • Conversant with ISO 9002 and Occupational Health and Safety Act
• Computer skills, in MS Office, Windows, and MS Projects
• Diploma, or Degree in relevant Engineering field Essential Responsibilities