Cummins, named for Clessie Cummins who helped pioneer the commercial use of diesel engine technology in the United States, is a Fortune 500 company whose products are sold in more than 190 countries and territories around the world.
Cummins is a diverse, community-minded technical leader in the design, manufacture, sale and service of diesel engines, power generation equipment and related components. We operate as four distinct, yet complementary, lines of business.
Here is a snapshot of Cummins, its scope, its products and its people:
- Company name: Cummins Inc.
- Corporate Headquarters: Columbus, Indiana
- Founded: 1919
- Stock Symbol: CMI (traded on NYSE)
- 2009 revenues: $10.8 billion
- 2009 earnings: $428 million
- Employees: Approx. 40,000 worldwide
- Business segments: Engines, Power Generation, Distribution and Components.
- Major products: diesel and natural gas engines for on- and off-highway applications; power generating systems and standby generators; engine filters, advanced exhaust aftertreatment products; turbochargers; fuel systems
- Major markets: Global heavy- and medium-duty truck markets; light-duty truck markets in Asia; construction; oil, gas and mining; agriculture; construction; government; commercial and consumer power generation; parts and service; exclusive supplier of diesel engines for the Dodge Ram pick-up truck
- International presence: Operations in more than 190 countries and territories worldwide, with more than 60 percent of our sales generated outside the United States. A leading maker of diesel engines and related products in China, India, Brazil, United Kingdom and Mexico.
- Community focus: Our Vision of “making people’s lives better by unleashing the power of Cummins” is carried out by our employees around the world who give of their time, talents and resources to improve the communities in which we live and work. More than 150 Community Involvement Teams worldwide work with the Company’s Corporate Responsibility organization and senior management to strengthen our communities with a focus on education, the