Department Overview and Role Purpose
The purpose of the role is to help the Bank achieve its mission of “stimulating a consistent expansion of and diversification of African trade so as to rapidly increase Africa’s share of global trade, while operating as a first class, profit oriented, socially responsible financial institution and a centre of excellence in African trade matters” through providing required support and coordination for the Bank’s performance management processes.
As a member of the HR learning & Performance Team the role of the successful candidate will be to contribute to the day-to-day coordination and implementation of strategic and business planning, performance planning and alignment, performance monitoring, performance analysis and performance reporting.
The role will primarily focus on working with the functions and individuals to develop performance objectives that align to the departmental plans for the year and for the management and development of the Tier 2 and Tier 3 KPI infrastructure.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Strategic & Performance Planning at Tier 2 Level: The role holder will work closely with the Performance and Monitoring team in Strategy & Innovation to assist functions in preparing for sign off their Tier 2 scorecards at the start of each planning year. This will include following the laid-out guidelines to facilitate cascading of strategic objectives from Tier 2 to Tier 3 level.
- Strategic & Performance Planning at Tier 3 Level: Support the Head of LEPE to manage oversight for the process of Tier 3 scorecard planning and sign off at the start of each year, including timeliness and quality.
- Performance Planning for New Staff: Take charge of the process of assisting all new staff and contractors in preparing their strategic objectives, measures, and targets (tier 3 scorecards) in a timely manner and to the required level of quality.
- Quarterly Performance Monitoring: Assist the Head of LEPE in managing the quarterly performance cycle for timeliness and completeness and reporting to keep track of Tier 3 performance trends through the year.
- End of Year Performance Appraisals: Work with the Head of LEPE and staff in Strategy & Innovation to plan for and manage the end of year performance appraisal cycle for all Tier 3 scorecards to ensure timely and quality completion.
- Performance Reporting: The role holder will be responsible to produce all performance reports (quarterly and annually) and the relevant data analytics that are required to make the reports useful for performance management and improvement. This is one of the most critical areas of this role.
- Performance Management Education & Awareness: working with the Head of LEPE and the Strategy & Innovation team, the role holder will be responsible for continuous education and awareness to new and existing staff about the Bank’s strategy and performance management tools/systems.
- Talent Review Process: The role holder will work with other teams to plan, manage, and execute the annual talent review process to ensure timeliness and quality of output and to use the data generated to produce reports that facilitate career growth and development.
- Business Process Improvement: Analyse and propose changes to internal business processes at Tier 2 and Tier 3 level by leveraging industry knowledge, management consulting skills and analytical abilities in identifying key drivers, assessing process capabilities, and developing a business case for continuous internal business process enhancement.
- HR Systems: Support the HR Systems & automation process by continually identifying required enhancements to existing systems to ensure that all strategic planning and performance management processes are optimized.
- HR Policies & Procedures: Assist in the process of input in the development, application, and maintenance of the Bank’s HR Staff Handbook.