***************This role has now been filled
Vision & Purpose
The role is supposed to help the Bank to achieve its mission “stimulating a consistent expansion of and diversification of African trade so as to rapidly increase Africa’s share of global trade, while operating as a first class, profit oriented, socially responsible financial institution and a centre of excellence in African trade matters” by carrying out all necessary activities to ensure that the Bank receives the appropriate legal advice in the course of its operations and that all legal documentation is done professionally, in time and that all areas that may cause litigation risk are appropriately addressed.
Nature & Scope
The role of the position holder will be to support the Director of Legal in providing the required legal advice to the President, Management and the Board as may be required.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Supporting the coordination of the Bank’s internal and external legal capacities in the performance of its legal function and working with internal legal staff and external parties as approved by Management.
- Preparation of a variety of legal documentation including transaction documentation designed to protect the interests of the Bank as lender, borrower, co-lender, service user or provider and in a wide range of other capacities.
- Negotiation of legal documents with the Bank’s legal counter-parties and under the guidance of Management.
- Providing legal advice to management and staff in all areas of the Bank’s activities and proffering solutions to legal problems, constraints, risks, options, consequences and approaches.
- Review legal documentation prepared for the Bank or arising from the work of the Bank.
- Representing the Bank internally and externally in negotiation, disputes, consultations and other proceedings that require legal representation.
- Participation in legal aspects of the Bank’s business and lending as well as borrowing operations including loan administration and various committees as management may specify.
- Any other duties as assigned by senior management.