*To be based in Johannesburg or Nairobi
The ultimate purpose of the President is to lead the Regional business strategy within the overall framework of the SAOF Bata Strategy.
This is a defining key leadership position for a business-focused, consumer-centric, strategic leader who is passionate about and motivated by the BATA mission and the chance to drive the change necessary to truly impact the lives of the BATA consumer. S/he will partner closely with the Chief Executive Officer and senior management team as well as lead and develop a strategic, high-impact, business-focused capability – all with the commitment to better serving the BATA consumers.
- Define and implement a Regional business strategy within the overall framework of the SAOF Bata Strategy and manage priorities and resources accordingly.
- Maximize profits in the short, medium and long-term and ensure that all companies achieve or beat their annual performance targets.
- Ensure the implementation and execution of the Global Programs.
- Ensure that cooperation and synergy exist between companies of Africa.
- Foster Bata interests and image in Africa and ensure that business is conducted according to the basic methods, policies and ethics of Bata.
- Initiate the development of business opportunities and ensure continued sound growth of our business taking into consideration market potential and market participation.
- Ensure that companies are managed properly in all areas of general management, human resources, administration, finance, marketing, commercial, product development and technical aspects.
Business Strategy & Organization
- Driving and delivering the plans and goals of the overall business. Managing the full P&L of Africa, meeting all financial targets and executing on all required business processes (e.g. planning, budgeting…).
- Fostering the development of a consumer-focused and results-driven culture by empowering and engaging the staff to perform well at a collective and individual level.
- Developing a well thought-through and sustainable strategy, proactively communicating and personally ‘living’ the strategy, ensuring a cross-functional and integrated approach at Regional and Group level, ensuring it is effectively distilled throughout the organization.
- Showing good judgement by making relevant decisions in order to maximize profitability and ensure issue resolution. Driving marketing, assortments and product strategies that deliver income and profitability goals through existing and new categories and channels/markets.
- Demonstrating a consistent and all-round track-record of success encompassing sales, marketing, ecommerce, purchasing, HR, finance, operations…
- Ensuring the business has the organization structure, leadership capabilities and human resources required to deliver the set goals.
Commercial Strategy & Operational Execution
- Overseeing the development and execution of the sales and go-to-market commercial strategy from “idea to sales deployment to volume realization” thereby ensuring that the commercial team achieve the targets set. Staying very close to the commercial function/focus to ensure organizational targets are being met.
- Ensuring that clear commercial strategies are developed, deployed and measured, as well as aligned with the company’s overall strategy. Seeking and exploring opportunities for growth.
- Ensuring effective sales force productivity and sales effectiveness deployment measures are in place by overseeing sales activity of team members by store through a variety of media, in order to reach objectives in terms of key KPIs (including top line growth and contribution margin; productivity, conversion rate, selective brands/categories as well as operational efficiency in store, ecommerce, etc.
Change Management, Transformation & Continuous Improvement
- Leading with tact yet focus, aggressive business change, coupled with extensive performance management.
- Taking responsibility for challenging productivity and delivery target enhancements and acting as a change agent.
- Restructuring/changing/re-sizing/growing teams and stores as necessary. Ensuring the business is constantly adapting to the market environment.
- Ensuring that business operations processes and systems deliver optimal cost and service performance.
People Leadership & Communication
- Creating a results-driven, winning culture of rewarding the right behaviors and rewarding success – maximizing use of sales competencies, reward policies and practices, as well as development tools. Energizing teams through inclusiveness and connecting with people. Building loyalty and commitment and a consistent approach, whilst demonstrating the ability to engage people around a common purpose.
- Ensuring the business has access to the right skills/competencies, as well as a strong development pipeline to meet present and future needs. Acting upon poor performers.
- Establishing a rhythm of fluid communication within the organization (weekly P&L management meetings, monthly ops reviews; communication with all employees; regular store visits; skip level meetings; informal meetings etc).
- Creating a high-performing, values-orientated culture through focus on employee satisfaction.
- Ensuring a comprehensive Voice of the Customer process e.g. NPS to drive a customer focused organization.
- Supporting Group initiatives as required.
Key Performance Indicators
- Operational excellence and sales results by store (turnover/margin; productivity; frequency; conversion rate, number of units per transaction; sales by category; private label results).
- Customer orientation (store concept; layout; merchandising).
- Customer Satisfaction.
- “Benchstrength” of management team.
- Headcount: efficient utilization of resources; productivity measurements.
- Staff attitude surveys – we are looking for an empowering business leader.
- Track record of delivering major change programs.
- Compliance and Audit reviews.
- Legislative and Statutory Compliance.