Vision & Purpose
Afreximbank has embarked on an ambitious growth strategy dubbed IMPACT 2021. The strategy aims to structurally transform its member countries’ economies and spur resilient economic growth. To do so, Afreximbank will need to deploy its full range of financing, mobilization, convening and thought leadership skills. This calls for a proactive and entrepreneurial approach where the Bank moves up the project finance value chain to prepare, develop, structure and implement investment projects.
To this end, Afreximbank established a project preparation facility that will progress projects from concept stage through to bankability with specific focus on promoting Intra African Trade, stimulating Industrialization and expanding Export Development capabilities and capacities in member countries. The prepared projects will crowd in private sector funding thereby quickly bridging the continents infrastructure and investments gaps hence fueling economic growth.
Nature & Scope
The role of the position holder will be to participate in drawing up annual business development plans, developing pipeline of viable projects with a focus on transactions that promote Intra-African Trade, Industrialization and Export Development activities. The holder of this position will work alongside the Client Relations teams to implement these plans with support from the Head of Project Preparation.
The selected candidate will focus on developing high-quality development projects with a focus on Francophone countries. Proficient working knowledge of French is mandatory.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Identify and assess project development and investment opportunities based on country and sector strategies and market creation potential.
- Develop a strong pipeline of good quality investment opportunities through proactive origination/business development and developing and employing sector/country knowledge with a focus on Francophone countries.
- Lead project development initiatives, which includes the development of prefeasibility and feasibility studies, design of new business models, bankability assessment and implementation plans for development projects that lead to Afreximbank investments.
- Conduct sector-specific data analysis and stress-testing of various operating models to help generate ideas for new projects, new products and platform businesses.
- Design and implement scalable solutions and platforms that can be replicated across markets.
- Spot game-changing trends, technologies and business models that can bring solutions to member countries.
- Supervise the production of regular reports on the assigned project portfolio including monitoring progress against project milestones and KPIs.
- Collaborate with stakeholders and form partnerships with staff across Afreximbank, sponsors, clients and other external parties to enable delivery of projects.
- Help build external recognition of Afreximbank’s distinctive capabilities in working in project development to catalyze greater flow of investment opportunities in the sector.
- Work with the Head of Project Preparation to mobilize third-party capital.
- From time to time and depending on workload and team needs, execute viable investment transactions in priority sectors (due-diligence, valuation, financial analysis, transaction structuring, documentation, negotiations etc.) that maximize development impact.
- Any other duties as assigned by senior management.