The role is supposed to help the Bank to achieve its mission “stimulating a consistent expansion of and diversification of African trade so as to rapidly increase Africa’s share of global trade, while operating as a first class, profit oriented, socially responsible financial institution and a centre of excellence in African trade matters” by managing the Bank’s back and front office operations in line with the policies laid down by senior management, in order to ensure smooth and uninterrupted loan administration processes.
The role of the position holder will be to provide back office operations support for the Bank’s lending activities with a focus on the documentary credit area. The job holder initiates and is responsible for the implementation of the Bank’s Banking Operations policies in these areas.
- Provide professional input into the organization of a sound “documentary credit unit” to support the Bank’s activities which will include but will not be restricted to the following components:
- Handling documentary credits including the opening, confirming, advising, negotiating and amending letters of credit;
- Handling documentary collections including incoming and outgoing collections and remittances as well as acceptances and avals;
- Issuing, amending, and liquidating all types of letters of guarantee (bid bond; performance; payment; standby and counter guarantees);
- Handling modern loan administration and maintenance of loan books including processing payments/disbursements in line with approved terms, monitoring repayments/recovery, reviewing legal documentation to identify compliance and reporting obligations required for monitoring through the life of the facility and ensuring full loan covenant compliance and that all terms and conditions of the respective deals are adhered to;
- maintenance of correspondent banking relations;
- establishment of safeguards for the above activities including managing the Bank’s physical strong-room, customer signatures and security documents; and
- maintenance of credit and collateral files, and credit enquiry as well as records of recovery efforts (except problem loans which move to Head Risk Management).
- Management and operation of the “back office” as part of the automation process.
- Coordinating and reconciling customer accounting system with the general ledger in Finance Department;
- Preparing accounting and other reports for the information of Management.
- Liaising with customers through the front office; and
- Any other duties as may be assigned by Senior Management.
- First degree and post graduate degree in Business Administration, Banking Finance or related field from a recognized University. A professional qualification in Banking backed up by appropriate Banking experience may be accepted in lieu of a postgraduate qualification, especially a certification as a documentary credit specialist or similar qualification;
- Sound experience of at least 5 years with a leading Banking organization;
- Ability to communicate and function in a culturally diverse and change oriented setting with good knowledge of banking practices in Africa;
- Ability to interact with senior officials of banks, corporates and governments;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English. Knowledge of the Bank’s other working languages is an added advantage (French, Arabic and Portuguese);
- The candidate must demonstrate experience and knowledge of managing back office operations in a fairly complex banking environment and show a good understanding of UCP 600; URR 725; and ISP 98 and relevant experience in issuing, amending and liquidating all types of guarantees (bid bond; performance; payment; and standby guarantees); and
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities, including ability to organize and manage human resources to attain goals.