The African Export Import Bank (the “Bank”) was established in Abuja, Nigeria in October, 1993 by African Governments, African private and institutional investors as well as non-African financial institutions and private investors for the purpose of financing, promoting and expanding intra-African and extra-African trade. The Bank was established under the twin constitutive instruments of an Agreement signed by member States and multilateral organizations, and which confers on the Bank the status of an international multilateral organization; as well as a Charter, governing its corporate structure and operations, signed by all Shareholders. The authorized share capital of the Bank is Five Billion United States Dollars (US$5 billion).
The Bank, headquartered in Cairo, the capital of the Arab Republic of Egypt, commenced operations on 30 September, 1994, following the signature of a Headquarters Agreement with the host Government in August, 1994. It has branch offices in Harare, Abuja, Abidjan and Nairobi.
Currently, they are seeking a Assistant Manager, Communications (Media Relations & Events)
Key Areas of Responsibilities:
- Support the development and implementation of the Bank’s communications strategy and plan, ensuring integration with the Bank’s Strategic Plan and Annual Business Plans, using all appropriate media channels. As part of this process, the job holder gives particular focus to the digital strategy, combining social media engagement with on and offline promotion of the Bank’s activities and achievements;
- Assist in the timely implementation of activities related to the Bank’s media strategy to publicize priority issues and/or major events, including drafting communications plans, coordinating media outreach efforts, monitoring and reporting on progress, taking appropriate follow-up actions, and analyzing outcome;
- Support effective design, production and delivery of communication products;
- Support and participate in activities to promote media coverage (press conferences, interviews, press seminars and other special activities) of priority issues and major Bank events, including development of media strategies and action plans, and initiating proactive media outreach efforts. Provide effective and timely responses to public information inquiries from the media;
- Network with journalists, other media representatives, followers, and subscribers to media networks; Develop and sustain partnerships with internal and external partners for successful development and execution of Afreximbank’s media strategy; Monitor the media, analyze information and prepare reports in order to track outreach, engagement and growth of media coverage of the Bank;
- Draft media-focused communication products (articles, product features, proofing, pitch letters, placements, etc.) to present and disseminate the Bank’s business information to keep the public and other target groups informed and up to date about the Bank’s programmes and achievements. Recommend appropriate information and communication tools for use in media and other communication activities; Participate in identifying communications content for dissemination to key constituencies; Maintain and update media contact lists/databases; Ensure rapid and accurate information dissemination to the media; Act as a news desk officer;
- Provide language (French, Arabic, Portuguese) support, as appropriate, for the work of the Communications Unit by undertaking the drafting and editing of language versions of the Unit’s communications products;
- Assist in coordinating and managing the Bank’s website to ensure that online contents are up to date and accurate;
- Provide support for the management of events organized by the Bank, including coordinating and liaising with event management companies engaged by the Bank;
- Carry out any other duties as may be assigned by Management.
The Success Applicant Must Meet the Following Criteria:
- First degree in Mass Communication, Journalism, or related discipline and a post graduate degree in the same or related fields from a recognized University;
- Professional communications practice and experience of not less than five years, preferably at international level, with not less than two years as a working journalist;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and French and proficiency or good working knowledge of the Bank’s other working languages (Arabic and Portugese) is an added advantage;
- Strong digital and social media management skills;
- Familiarity with functions and operating modalities of financial service institutions will be a clear advantage;
- Ability to communicate and function in a culturally diverse and change oriented setting and good knowledge of the African continent;
- Willingness to travel extensively and to work long hours, with short deadlines, where required in order to achieve the Bank’s objectives;
- Demonstrated ability to build and nurture relationships with internal and external counterparties to attain goals.