The African Export-Import Bank (Afreximbank) is a Multilateral Financial Institution established in 1993 by African governments, African private and institutional investors as well as non-African financial institutions and private investors for the purposes of financing and promoting intra and extra African trade.
Currently, they are seeking a Manager, Credit Quality Assurance
Key Areas of Responsibilities:
- Perform scheduled and event triggered credit quality monitoring activities, including site visits, on specific credit facilities and the credit environment including assessment and monitoring of the following:
- Adherence to credit policies, procedures, methodologies, approach and systems used in credit risk management and recommend/monitor implementation of corrective actions as considered appropriate.
- Adherence to credit covenants, undertakings and other terms and conditions of a credit facility.
- Adherence to marginalizing requirements for security (collateral) held to ensure security values do not fall below set thresholds and call for security enhancement or top-up as necessary.
- Financial and operational performance of the borrower (s).
- Impact of trigger-events and other emerging credit problem areas.
- Country, industry and sector risk developments.
- Perform scheduled and event triggered credit portfolio reviews on the credit portfolio.
The reviews shall cover at the minimum:
- Asset quality reviews – appraisal of the conduct and profitability of individual credit facility; risk grade review; analysis of the borrower’s financial statements and other qualitative attributes.
- Credit approval process review – examining the approval process credit facility went through, including pre-assessment, credit approval, disbursement, and credit administration.
- Administrative and documentation review – verifying the existence and adequacy of the documents associated with credit facility files, including completeness of credit grading and accuracy of loan grades assigned by credit officers.
- Collateral (security) review – physical check of all security and loan documents, confirmation of registration status, assessment of the value and enforce ability of collateral.
- Compliance review – compliance with internal policies and procedures including mandate requirements, adherence to loan covenants.
- Prepare and submit accurate and timely reports to Senior Manager for review and sign-off on a monthly, quarterly, half-yearly and annual basis for Management, RISTRAC, EXMAF and relevant Board committees, highlighting performance against defined credit quality parameters.
- Develop and maintain effective internal and external relationships through individual contacts and Bank facilitated forums.
- Represent the CQA Unit as delegated by the Senior Manager, in internal and external meetings and committees.
- Maintain high level relationship with rating agencies to understand and implement compliance requirements in order to maintain high rating for the Bank.
- Maintain high level relationship with industry associations and CQA heads of peer organizations to enhance capacity building and bench-marking of best-practices, executing joint projects to address shared risks and concerns, developing outlines of new methodologies and frameworks, etc.
The Success Applicant Must Meet the Following Criteria:
- Postgraduate degree in Commerce, Banking, Finance, Accounting, Economics, or Risk Management. A professional qualification in a relevant area such as banking, risk management or accounting may be accepted in lieu of a post graduate degree.
- Understanding of credit risk and country risk management processes and methodologies.
- Understanding of credit risk mitigations and financing mechanisms including structured trade finance, project finance, and syndication.
- Knowledge of Africa and its banking industry.
- Broad knowledge of applicable statutes, laws and regulations that govern banking and lending activities in different parts of Africa.
- Understanding of the Bank’s systems, policies, procedures and practices.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Competency in MS suite (Word, Excel, PPT).
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Good leadership and people skills.
- At least 8 years banking experience, specifically covering credit risk management, country and sector risk analysis, structured and project finance.