Purpose of Job
To provide academic and clinical leadership in the department through the development and implementation of departmental work plans consistent with the vision and mission of the University. The Chair will also be expected to be the liaison between the department, other AKU departments and relevant external bodies and/or agencies.
Click on the headings to learn more.
- Develop short and medium strategic plans for the department
- Collate all necessary information for developing the strategic plans
- Academic and clinical liaison within and outside the university hospital
- Staff development
- Lead the implementation of academic and clinical mission of the department
- Lead development, revision and delivery of training curricula.
- Coordinate formal and informal assessment of trainees as the chief departmental internal examiner.
- Assign responsibilities to faculty members in tandem with the departmental work plans and appraise annually.
- Represent department in relevant institutional committees.
- Represent university or hospital as may be assigned by supervisors.
- Work closely with other clinical and academic departmental heads to ensure efficient delivery of services.
- Maintain efficient teamwork approach in service delivery by professional and support staff.
- Mobilize necessary resources needed for efficient delivery of departmental services
- Responsible for budget planning and implementation in consultation with B & P department
- Provide research leadership for the department
- Lead the implementation of clinical mission of the department
- Participate in provision of specialized clinical service
- Provide leadership in review and development of appropriate policies and procedures for patients’ health care in keeping with best practice
- Master of Medicine or its equivalent
- Registration by the Medical Practitioners and Dentist Board
- Sub-specialty training in internal medicine
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in Medical Education at senior academic level
- Minimum academic position of Assistant Professor