Business: African Operations
Job Family: Sales & Distribution
Organization Name: African Operations
Department Description: CCM Level: Manager of Function
Reporting to: CEO – West Africa
Reportees: Functional heads (i.e. Distribution, Marketing, Operations, Risk, Financial, Product Development etc.)
Key Focus & Role Description
- The main aim and purpose of the CEO role is to manage the overall business towards the achievement of business plans, aligned to broader organisational plans and strategies.
- This is inclusive of the development of strategies in order to make the business profitable.
- Main elements of the role incorporate the management of key stakeholder relationships, managing the development of the business in terms of product set and distribution (including economic viability).
- Furthermore it includes the management of corporate culture and climate and compliance with country legislative requirements and good governance.
- Key to the role is the nurturing and management of the relationship with the JV partner towards joint success
Key Result Areas
- Finance & Economics
- Risk and Governance
- Information & Technology
Deliverables (work elements)
- Development of a business strategy to build and grow the business in relevant markets.
- Participate in Africa Strategy review sessions in order to align own country strategy in line with changes in strategic direction.
- Conduct regular strategic discussions and drive the strategic agenda in the country and on behalf of the country in Africa Operations.
- Identify and investigate potential business opportunities for growth and expansion.
Finance & Economics
- Management of the overall P&L (Profit and Loss) of the business.
- Set and manage overall expense and income targets and conduct regular reviews of progress to the targets.
- Conduct analysis on the profitability of the product set, processes and infrastructure and investigate alternatives.
- Ensure compliance to local legislative requirements as it pertains to the country specific financial laws.
- Responsible for fostering a culture that promotes customer focus, ethical practices, integrity, a positive work climate and high performance.
- Ensure compliance to organisational Human Resources governance and process and local labour laws.
- Drive the implementation of an employee value proposition.
- Ensure optimal productivity and organisational structure to support the business in it’s growth imperative.
- Manage key external relationship to create a supportive brand, inclusive of media and marketing strategies.
- Ensure the building of a productive relationship with the JV partner.
- Regularly review brand relevance and effectiveness through customer reviews and research.
- Develop appropriate distribution models and channels in order to grow the business, distribution is inclusive of:
- Business development – seeking opportunities to build the business, and
- Product development, appropriate to the market.
- Ongoing review of opportunities for alternative distribution.
- Ensures development of new business initiatives that deliver new sources of customers and revenue for the country.
- Build key stakeholder relationships (internal / government / corporate) in order to support the distribution business.
- Review distribution economics and ensure that an appropriate staffing and remuneration structure is in place.
- Management of an effective and efficient operational delivery leg (inclusive of operational processes and service delivery).
- Ensure that Service Level Agreements are both set up and managed effectively and at the appropriate cost.
Risk & Governance
- Analyses risks and comes up with strategies for managing them and ensuring that assets of the Company are adequately safeguarded and maintained.
- Establish and appropriate and objective risk, compliance and governance framework.
- Accountable for the development and execution of an IT strategy.
- Sourcing appropriate IT solutions within the required cost and delivery boundaries.
- Manage strategic vendor and stakeholder relationships.
- Manage the economics of IT.
- Ensure capable management succession as well as progressive employee training and development programs.
- Manages service delivery through a team of other managers for periods of 1-2 years.
- Drives operational excellence throughout area of supervision.
- Holds first line managers accountable for managerial work, including selection, performance management and talent management.
- Develops managers and specialists under supervision.
- Selects potential managers to sustain the talent pipeline.
- Defines performance parameters (including balanced scorecard) and measurements for area under supervision.
- Ensures that capability and synergy exists within each channel and segment to manage key external client relationships in order to enhance the company’s distribution
- Engages and manages all relevant stakeholders continuously, internal and external.
- Accountability and Execution
- Business Acumen
- Control & Efficiency
- Technical Knowledge
- Thinking Skills
- Post Graduate qualification with executive management experience, including distribution.
- Previous experience in financial services & Life insurance