The Chief Executive Officer is a key member of the senior management team, reporting to Chief Operating Officer of the Kenya Region. A highly driven, results-orientated strategic leader, the CEO will have full responsibility for scoping and leading business development with a burning hunger for driving growth.
The CEO for the Organization will own the P&L for all hospital facilities, manage team growth and importantly support the regional and global executive team responsible for leading the development and execution of the organization’s long-term strategy with a view to creating shareholder value.
The CEO will steer the Organization to become the leading multispecialty healthcare provider eco-system across the country. The CEO will support with growth plans, to further increase market share by commissioning hospitals, expanding operations through the opening of new hospital facilities across Kenya, by organic growth within existing facilities and expansion.
The CEO will be required to ensure operational excellence across the established and developing healthcare care facilities within the Organization, ensuring the standard of care and the facilities are driven and maintained to the highest standards. The CEO will also ensure compliance with applicable local laws and regulations as well as all policies and procedures set forth by the Governing Board and Medical Staff, and those required by the Kenyan regulatory standards.
Working closely with the Kenya Regional COO, and CFO to ensure that financial and operational goals of the organization are met and that the vision is communicated meaningfully and effectively to all stakeholders.
- Provide strategic direction and operational efficiencies for the operation and development of the Organization healthcare network.
- Leading the creation and implementation of an effective patient care and quality control programs, working closely with the Regional CMO and Regional COO to ensure that the Organization is meeting regional/global benchmarks for quality and patient satisfaction.
- Delivering results to meet or exceed financial budgets for operations, expansion and infrastructure improvement.
- Reporting operating and strategic progress to the Regional COO and Regional CFO.
- Driving a clear strategy, budget and annual plan aligned and ensuring the results are met.
- Leading the continuous implementation, review, and revision of the approved strategic plan.
- Appointing high performing senior managers, directors and heads of department and/or others as appropriate.
- Working with the Regional COO and CFO to ensure all financial goals are met and audit recommendations are implemented in a timely manner.
- Directing and developing local policy, procedures and IT infrastructure in line with group standards.
- Ensuring there are robust processes in place and to agree on financial and activity targets with the Regional COO and Regional CFO.
- Achieving and maintaining accreditation of local regulators as well as the Joint Commission Accreditation International.
- Creating an environment where employees are engaged, enabled and implement group wide best practice and industry standards across the organization.
- Implement governance and risk management processes are effectively operated throughout.
- Build and develop key relationships with influential stakeholders across all local government healthcare entities.
- Manage horizontal teams to collaborate across functional, professional and business unit lines.
- Lead and direct the operation teams in driving and sustaining operational performance and delivery of all group and regional standards and targets.
- Will lead the Organization to provide safe, high quality, integrated and cost-effective services that are responsive to patients’ and clients’ needs across the whole system, maintaining an excellent standard of operational excellence.
- Drive the processes needed to find the most effective and efficient utilization of resources, practices and processes across the platform.
- Identify and drive opportunity to take advantage of size and scale with regards to supply chain, logistics, facilities management, engineering and operations.
- Develop and maintain effective mechanisms of communication across all entities within the Organization to ensure engagement of role players across diagnostics, hospitals, clinics and other professional and staff groups.
- Reflect and promote the values of the organization in all activities and take an active leadership role in the promotion of equality in the delivery of services and the development of the workforce.
- Maintain awareness of market conditions, the competitive landscape, services, and industry trends in Kenya.
CANDIDATE SPECIFICATION / QUALIFICATIONS
- The candidate must be a graduate, MBA or equivalent credentials.
- Demonstrated success in the operational management of healthcare services across multiple business units and preferably across multiple geographies.
- A minimum of 10 years’ progressive business operations and administrative experience preferably in an emerging market healthcare provider environment.
- Experience in healthcare market segments that cater to the low to mid income population.
- Have experience managing in a matrix environment and how the needs of local business units and the corporation interrelate.
- Must be nimble and know how to work through the system.
- Must have the ability to take complex situations and drill down to the important issues and focus on the core elements of a project.
- Demonstrated capacity to interface and maintain effective relationships with all departments and employees.
- Experience of managing multi-professional groups within a healthcare setting.
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively and strategically in a multicultural team environment with all levels of professional, technical and administrative staff.
- High degree of administrative, operational and clinical knowledge and expertise.
- Highly responsive, ethical and responsible individual with a professional approach to patient care and a desire to be held accountable for results.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and written and oral English communications skills
- P&L Experience