The main aim and purpose of the role is partner with the business to ensure that the business remains financially viable by taking overall responsibility for the finance function of the country, aligned with the delivery of business plans. Key responsibilities include driving the finance strategy and processes, as well as monitoring the financial performance of the business. The CFO is also accountable for preparation of financial reports and record keeping as well as all strategic issues related to tax, financial compliance and capital management. Analyses financial records such as income trends. Has holistic responsibility for the financial management of the country.
- Contributes to and is individually accountable for implementing the broader financial strategy across the business over a 1-2 year period.
- Translates strategy into business plan.
- Plays an active role in the Finance community and champions the financial soundness and profitability of the business unit.
- Aligns financial and governance strategy to needs in the external market (inclusive of legislative changes).
- Understands and supports the business strategies of other segments and markets
- Accountable for preparation of financial reports and record keeping for the country through the finance team.
- Oversee the execution of actuarial valuations.
- Could include consolidation of accounts
- Takes accountability for running the financial components of the annual BP process in country, inclusive of forecasting and modelling.
- Sets operational policies for the business
Governance & Compliance
- Ensures best financial operating practices are in place.
- Responsible for internal and external audit liaison.
- Ensures tax, legislative and statutory requirements are met.
- Ensures compliance within unit.
- Sets operational policies for actuarial valuation of the business
- Looks for opportunities to minimise tax liabilities of the organisation.
- Accountable for all strategic tax issues
Treasury & Banking
- Management of the treasury function and banking operation, inclusive of practices and policies.
- Implements and monitors treasury controls and policies.
- Implements and monitors banking controls and policies.
- Supports banking operation
- Manages liquidity risk and cash flow for policyholders and shareholders through the finance team.
- Manages corporate financing.
- Manages the investment portfolio by ensuring an optimum return
- Analyses business, financial and general operating information to identify trends and opportunities for development and produce management information to ensure that business developments remain financially viable.
- Analyses and monitors the effect of budget or policy changes on business unit productivity.
- Assists in deciding on the financial and business viability of new and existing projects and programmes
- Produce accounts, comply with statutory submissions to ensure compliance with relevant legislation
- Manages staff
- Individually accountable for staff time, tasks and output quality, over periods of 3 months to a year.
- Balances own priorities with directing and motivating others.
- Plans and assigns work over periods of 3 months to a year.
- Guides and directs staff to achieve operational excellence standards.
- Creates a climate for optimal performance.
- Manages performance.
- Selects potential staff to sustain customer/ client service delivery.
- Drives operational excellence throughout area of supervision
- Qualified CA, extensive experience in a senior financial management role.
- Previous experience in CFO role.
- Information Monitoring
- Business Awareness
- Decision Making
- Gaining Commitment
- Planning & Organizing
- Technical Knowledge
- Thinking Skills
- Aligning Performance For Success
- Gaining Commitment
Please note, interviews for this position will take place at our Careers in Africa Recruitment Summit in London, 16- 18th of May 2014. Relevant candidates will be contacted and invited to attend the event.