APM Terminals is one of the world’s largest port and terminal operators as well as providing cargo support and container Inland Services. It is the largest port and terminal operating company in terms of overall geographic scope, operating a Global Terminal Network with interests in 63 operating port and terminal facilities in 39 countries on five continents. Additionally, there are seven new port projects in development, as well as over 160 Inland Services operations providing container transportation, management, maintenance and repair in 48 countries.
Based in Douala and reporting to the West & Central Africa Cluster Top (based in Tema, Ghana), the Country Manager Inland Services Cameroun will be responsible for all aspects of leadership and governance for IS activities in the country. The successful candidate will direct the activities for entity teams throughout the country to ensure continuous strive for operational excellence and profitability, as well as ensuring that policies and guidelines are developed in accordance with overall cluster (and regional) strategies and policies. Furthermore, the incumbent will maintain and develop relationship with authorities and other relevant stakeholders, and also act as an active member of the West & Central Africa Cluster Management Team.
- Be the predominant authority for the achievement of the country’s overall results.
- Responsible for setting & delivering objectives which are within the strategy & business plans of the cluster and AME-IS Business Unit.
- Be creative in making improvements (enhancements and modifications) to existing systems, practices and approaches and influence working methods to execute the instructions of the West & Central Africa Cluster Top.
- Ensure that all operations undertaken follow and respect APMT’s HSSE standards and procedures at all times.
- Accountable for all financial and non-financial targets for IS in the country
- Evaluate the financial results of the company/country by regularly analyzing the P/L with the key leaders and taking measure to correct deviations, leverage opportunities, and ensure forecasted results are attained or surpassed.
- Provide discernable contribution to the resolution of regional IS issues and priorities.
- Support AME-IS Business Unit in evaluating investment opportunities and strategic fit of existing entities within the country.
- Responsible for the development of a business plan for the country encompassing:
- People Development
- Product enhancement (projects & new ventures)
- Act as commercial representative before Key customers and stakeholders.
- Represent IS internally and externally through participation in meetings with port authorities, customs, shipping agent associations, etc. as required.
- Maintain relationships with other APM companies and parties to assess current situation and identify ways to increase business opportunities.
- Protect the IS interests by ensuring all audits are carried out and legal requirements are adhered to.
- Measure and communicate results to the organization (periodically).
- May be board member of the local companies.
- Requires advanced skills and knowledge to lead teams throughout different disciplines
- Minimum college degree. Advanced degree in management such as MBA, is preferable
- Proven management experience from the terminal or shipping industry or alternatively related industry within transport or supply chain management.
- Must have some Africa experience (not necessarily Cameroun, but preferably French West Africa).
- 5 years of demonstrated successful profit & loss responsibility
- Excellent business development and stakeholder management skills (especially external relations).
- Excellent people management and leadership skills, especially in terms of building and grooming a leadership team so they can run internal operations while the country manager focuses on external relations
- Proven track record of successfully and sustainably growing a business from a low market share.
- Port operations and especially stevedoring experience an added plus.
- Experience in diversified port operations (general cargo, bulk, break bulk etc.) a clear advantage
- Detailed understanding of the various links between functional areas such as operations, finance and human resources.
- Sound knowledge of Project Management techniques and investment analysis.
- Excellent negotiation and relationship building skills on all levels.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to communicate across the organization.
- Trustworthy, ambitious and able to work highly independently and in teams.
- Ability to provide leadership, obtain cooperation and promote a team environment to meet objectives.
- Requires ability to communicate in English and French with business-level fluency, both verbally and written.
To the right candidate we offer an exciting and challenging position in a truly international, culturally diverse and busy environment where the candidate through commitment and high performance will have great possibilities of personal development. He/she will have the opportunity to work with a diverse range of internal and external stakeholders, as well as experienced leaders with a strong international background. Further, the incumbent will have the opportunity to acquire skills and knowledge in finance operations, as well as in leading a department of professionals. Relevant next career steps could be a more senior Regional or Corporate level, or a more complex container terminal environment, as well as Cluster Top position. The position will be based in Douala, Cameroun.