Providing reliable electricity to the unserved and inadequately served people of the world is central to efforts to eradicate extreme poverty and create a shared prosperity. The Energy and Extractive Industries Global Practice delivers comprehensive energy and extractive industry solutions through environmentally and socially sustainable approaches. It also houses financial solution experts specialized in guarantee structuring and execution, project finance, and market capital mobilization.
Demonstrated experience in positions of increasing complexity and responsibility within energy/extractives management in government and/or international organizations.
Senior Specialist – at least 8 years of experience + advanced degree
Specialist – at least 5 years of experience + advanced degree
- Advanced Degree (Masters or PhD) in relevant field; ideally engineering, energy planning, economics, business administration/finance, public policy/administration or related discipline. Specializations relevant to the energy sector (e.g. renewable energy, energy efficiency, energy access, or energy markets and institutions) are a bonus.
- Track record of dealing with energy sector strategic and policy issues, regulation, as well as operational and analytic work. Familiarity with energy policies, strategies, institutions, and regulations. Preferred areas of experience include energy (specifically oil and gas, gas to power, upstream gas, hydropower, utility corporate finance), and extractive industries. Others include:
- Power sector development, policy and financing, supply chain and market structure.
- Power generation, transmission, distribution, energy sector reforms; and tariff calculation and reforms.
- Infrastructure financing and investment with private sector or market-oriented financial institutions
- Sector reform and modernization, energy efficiency investments and program design
- Renewable energy, energy efficiency, low carbon strategies, and broader climate change mitigation issues.
- Energy access including rural electrification. Clean cooking and heating solutions. Familiarity of business models for promoting energy access through mini- and off-grid systems.
- Energy Sector Technologies—hydrocarbon, hydropower, power generation, transmission and distribution, renewables, energy efficiency, low carbon strategies, etc.
- Experience and/or substantive exposure with recent developments in the energy sector such as utility reform, regulatory reform and public-private partnerships.