APMT Nigeria is overseeing APM Terminals activities in Africa’s largest economy and one of the most potential and interesting emerging markets globally. Our current portfolio consists of three modern and market leading ocean container terminals. Apapa Container Terminal is the largest container facility in Lagos; Nigeria’s largest city and business center. West Africa Container Terminal in Onne (Eastern Nigeria) and Coman container facility in Cotonou (the commercial capital of neighboring Benin republic) are both leading facilities in their respective markets. We also run a large inland container facility close to Apapa port and a rail service to our inland container facility in Kano (the second largest city in Nigeria and a trading hub). The proposed new mega-port at Badagry, located 55km west of Lagos, continues to move towards development and will serve all cargo sectors including a Phase I opening of 775m two-berth container terminal, with a 17 meter depth alongside and an annual throughput capacity of 1.8 million TEUs.
Lagos is the largest city in Nigeria and a dynamic and multi-cultural business center with access to International schools and numerous activities.
To the right candidate we offer an exciting and challenging position in one of the most interesting emerging markets globally in a truly international, cultural diverse and challenging environment where the candidate through commitment and high performance will have great possibilities of personal development.
- Leading the Business Development function and team in Nigeria.
- Developing the strategy and structure for the Business Development team including identifying potential investment opportunities i.e. locations matching APMT’s investment criteria.
- Develop and secure projects in scope – be in a support role for large or strategic key projects.
- Prepare commercial and investment analysis within portfolio for new terminals, depots, trucking and rail projects and major expansions in existing terminals – lead smaller projects and support larger ones.
- Develop recommendations for attractiveness of investments within portfolio, proposal for negotiation process and recommendation on business plan and budget – lead activities on smaller projects and provide support for larger ones.
- Screen and evaluate projects within portfolio, incl. technical feasibility evaluation.
- Being part of the Nigeria Country Leadership Team
- Internal and External stakeholder management hereunder participate as part of negotiation and steering committees when needed due to complexity.
- Keep abreast of market developments (incorporating supply/demand, competition etc.).
Who are we looking for
- A college degree in Marketing/Sales or similar would be preferred for the holder of this position.
- Minimum 6 years experience in relevant fields.
- Possess empathy, personal tact, cultural understanding, and strong communication skills as well as a passion for success.
- Ability to manage multiple stakeholders with divergent interests.
- High energy, drive and interest in taking on new tasks.
- Well organized, timely, and persistent.
- Advanced sales and negotiation skills.
- Good financial understanding.
- Sound commercial awareness.
- Good understanding of the transport industry, specifically ports and container business.
- Ability to multi-task and perform well under pressure.
- Independent, resilient and determined while having a collaborate mindset.