1. PURPOSE OF JOB
To provide advice, services and functional guidance on all legal matters which will enable smooth operations of Bank’s business. The Head will be fully responsible for managing the legal department
2. PRINCIPLE ACOUNTABILITIES
- To head the Legal Department
- To provide Legal Opinions/Advice to Board and Management
- To provide Legal advice to Board and Management contractual obligations
- Drafting and negotiating all necessary documentation, providing specialist advice on all legal matters.
- Participating in all aspects of the development and implementation of legal/policy changes
- Assisting management in ensuring the decisions made on all legal matters are risk free.
• The Preparation of regular reports on cases and status of different legal issues.
• The Vetting of all legal documents.
• Custodian of all legal documents
• Custodian of Company Seal
• Manage the whole process of preparing security documents
• Ensure the bank complies with the relevant regulations
• Deal with all banks legal correspondence
• Deal with and solve all complaints and court related matters involving the bank
• Liaise with external legal consultants in cases and security documentation
• Report& Update the Management, Credit Committee and Audit Committees on the status of collateral securities and on all relevant legal issues of the bank
• Liaise with Credit Processing, Credit Administration, Credit Risk, Risk Department and Audit Department on collateral security and all legal issues
- Assisting the bank in recovery of bad debts by issuing statutory notices.
• Arrange and coordinate with external documentation consultants
• Attend to court cases end to end (from filing till judgement) and decree execution,
• Assisting in recovery efforts through all legal means
• Provide guidance on legal documentations
• Prepare reports for Management
- Providing leadership to subordinates, mentoring and grooming them for higher positions in the Bank
- Continuously appraising subordinates on their performance and actual carrying out of Performance Appraisal exercise when due.
- Performing any other duties as may be assigned by superior from time to time.
2.2 FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITIES
• All financial implications related to filling and registration fees and other related charges etc at BRELA, Land registry office and any other offices.
2.3 INDEPENDENT DECISIONS
• Giving legal opinions
• How to conduct registration of securities in a perfect and timely manner
• Reviewing security documents
• Seek customers’ execution of security documents where and when it’s deemed necessary
2.4 INTERACTION WITH OTHERS
Internal: Regular contact with Corporate and Branch Staff
External:Regular interaction with external advocates and customers
3. QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• A holder of Bachelor of Laws Degree, LLM/MBA is an added advantage.
• Must be registered as an Advocate of High Court.
• Should have 4 years experience in the relevant field.
• Experience in preparation / vetting of legal documents and registration of securities, to mitigate legal risk on financial transactions, largely Credit exposures
• Experience in dealing with legal fraternity / regulators / banking associations – sub groups in Tanzanian banking industry.
4. COMPETENCIES REQUIRED
• Ability to comprehend, analyse and implement the legal framework for a banking institution;
• Very good understanding of the local laws, particularly relating to the Commercial deals and financial transactions;
• Ability to opine on all financial / non-financial matters typical to a Banking Institution
• Good understanding of the complete life cycle of credit recovery of ‘classified assets’
• A good understanding of ‘Nuances of Credit recoveries’ through legal / quasi legal route – viz. Compromise settlement / out of court settlements etc.
• Ability to maintain a good rapport with peer group in the Banking Industry / legal counsels
• Reliability and Maturity.
• Flexible, mobile and dedicated.
• Patient, polite and disciplined individual
• Hardworking and loyal.
• High level of integrity.
• Self motivated.
• Good Analytical skills.
• Good Interpersonal skills.
• Ability to work independently under pressure.
• Carry out work in accordance with the banks procedures
• Perform the assigned tasks with due diligence
• Eliminate waste of whatever form, suggest the use of new practices and contribute to the continuos improvement of the bank