Context: (Global influences, environmental / industry demands, organizational mission, etc.)
• Constant dynamics in the economic; regulatory and legal environments
• Fluid risk environment requiring continuous appraisal of controls
• Systemic business support role
• Requires understanding of overall business strategy and different operating contexts and legislative requirements
• Highly dynamic telecommunications industry
• MTN group expectations and requirements
• MTN OPCO business plan
• MTN policies; procedures and process documentation are continuously being improved and updated
Key Performance Areas: Core, essential responsibilities / outputs of the position (KPA’s)
The post holder will work closely with the Council, Chairman, Chief Executive, and Management Board, leading on defined programs to ensure that the OpCo has:
• Developed a strategy to raise the profile of healthcare science and its contribution to science and to improving outcomes for patients.
• Effective governance arrangements.
• Robust business plans for its operation, sustainability and future development.
• Effective communications strategy
• Effective policy role and function
• Provide advice to senior management for strategic planning purposes, participate in the strategic planning process, play an active role in strategic decision making, and maintain current knowledge and understanding of the company’s business strategy.
• Perform and manage all required legal functions including advising, drafting, reviewing and negotiating, as policies and procedures, bylaws and transactional contracts and agreements relating to corporate structuring, deal structuring, securities and regulatory compliance, immigration law, risk management, and the general business operation of the company.
• Tending and contracting, outsourcing, establishment of strategic alliances and collaborations, securing of commercial licenses, securing of insurances, acquisitions of rights of products and technologies and the negotiations of supply, distribution and sourcing agreements, licensing agreements, business development agreements and manufacturing agreements, marketing, advertising and promotion agreements, intellectual property agreements, consulting and services agreements, employment agreements, financing agreements, project management agreements, and engineering procurement and construction agreement.
• Work with appropriate business, financial and other internal and external functions to ensure appropriate due diligence and risk management and ensure that the terms of agreements are in accord with market forces, company policy and applicable law.
• Remain informed of legal, regulatory, and other developments with Government Agencies.
• Identify communication and training needs with the organization and develop and present training materials on relevant laws and legal business issues as required.
• Advice on legal issues involving government and regulatory compliance, respond to all complaints made against the company where the matter involves a regulatory agency, and provide advice for and participate in negotiations with government officials regarding such issues.
• Represent or supervise the representation of senior executives and manages in administrative hearings, and represent or oversee the representation of the company in all legal proceedings.
• Identify, define, justify, source and train required legal resources, considering internal and external sources and lead and manage the legal team.
• Supervise and coordinate the work of outside attorneys and consult with them on sensitive legal issues
• Ownership of the overarching Corporate Affairs strategy, promoting the OpCO’s core narratives & the OpCO story across MTN brand, consumer, enterprise & corporate responsibility/Foundation.
• Strategic responsibility for the OpCO Foundation and its associated partnerships, programs & supporting communications.
• Key advisory role to CEO and Senior Leadership Team in crisis management comms across all critical local OpCO issues with key responsibility for external communications.
• Responsibility to CEO and senior leadership team to drive stakeholder engagement and reputation management at MTN Guinea.
• Ownership of MTN Guinea’s media relations across all key programs, product and service launches, results announcements and major strategic partnership announcements – with particular responsibility into next year to drive supporting programs for fixed services, broadcast regulations and services, convergence, the role of digital & premium content from MTN Guinea.
• Key spokesperson representing MTN Guinea with senior media, political representatives, NGOs, consumer, technology and industry groups.
• Responsibility to CEO, SLT and key internal spokespeople to develop and manage media, speaker and stakeholder programs which drive messaging that supports the business strategy and communicates the OpCo’s core narratives.
• Key accountability for fulfilling MTN Group corporate affairs’ requirements of MTN Guinea
• Ownership, within the Strategy business unit of the Corporate Affairs and Foundation budgets and management of the corporate affairs team including the foundation and supporting agencies.
• Key support to Legal and Regulatory at MTN on public policy/regulatory matters from a media/external comms perspective.
• Act as the organization’s Company Secretary
• Maintain a sound, overarching corporate governance and risk management strategy for the organization to ensure the highest level of accountability in the organization’s decision- making processes.
• Work with providers of organization’s professional services (e.g. legal and audit).
• Keep under review all corporate governance arrangements that might affect the organization and ensure that Interim Board is fully briefed on these matters and the implications.
• Ensure that the organization is compliant with data protection, freedom of information and human rights matters
• Initiate and maintain a policy role and function reflective of the aims and objectives of the organisation and of its constituent bodies
• Produce thought leadership and other policy direction reports and initiatives
• Respond to a wide range of consultations and reports within the context of the policy of the academy and its aims and objectives
Supervisory /Managerial/ Leadership Complexity:
• Ensure that the team is led; motivated and rewarded to achieve the business objectives
• Possess the authority; presence and integrity to command respect from colleagues and from external contacts
• Provide clear direction and communicate the implication and interdependencies of each functional unit
• Regular management interaction with CEO, OPCO executive, Group CA and VP,
• Manage a team of between 1
• Setting of objectives for staff, appointments, identification of training needs, development plans, monitoring performance
• BA degree in law, economics, communications, political science, international affairs or equivalent is strongly preferred. Knowledge of the high technology industry is a plus
• At least 10 years’ professional experience as an attorney and/or a policy expert, in a political, legislative or public affairs role in one or more of: government; a multilateral organization; a corporate government affairs office; an industry association or coalition; or a policy focused research or think-tank organization
• General management
• Mini MBA
• Educated to Degree level.
• Qualifications in communications, business strategy and/or project management.
• Evidence of continuous professional development.
• Strong intellectual skills, track record of innovative thinking, analysis and practical activity.
• Management experience in a complex organization, experience of organizational change.
• Proven ability in communications and stakeholder relations.
• Knowledge of government and health policy issues, politically aware.
• Knowledge and experience of working across the Devolved Administrations.
• Capable of innovating and developing business growth and quality improvement.
• Creativity and a flair for new initiatives.
• Experience of delivering high-level and complex projects.
• Budget and financial management skills.
• Comfortable presenting content to a range of audiences, including policymakers’ academics, public and the media.
• Skilled at networking and network-building; a strong commitment to partnership-working
• An open and participative style with excellent leadership/communication skills and commercial acumen.
• Resilient and able to work under pressure.
• An in-depth understanding of the telecommunications context, with the ability to respond to the changing telecommunications environment together with education and training knowledge.
• Knowledgeable about national policy in telecommunications.