APM Terminals is one of the world’s largest port and terminal operators as well as providing cargo support and container Inland Services. It is the largest port and terminal operating company in terms of overall geographic scope, operating a Global Terminal Network with interests in 63 operating port and terminal facilities in 39 countries on five continents. Additionally, there are seven new port projects in development, as well as over 160 Inland Services operations providing container transportation, management, maintenance and repair in 48 countries.
The APM Terminals Mauritanie S.A. Island Services is located in Mauritania’s capital and has a Branch in Nouadhibou (450 kms in the North of Nouakchott), APM terminals Mauritania is a part of the Western and Central Africa Cluster Region based in Tema, Ghana. Mauritania surrounds Senegal in the South and is bordered on the north by Morocco and Algeria, on the east by Mali.
Arabic is the country’s official language, French is the working language, although each ethnic group speaks its own language. APM Terminals Mauritania S.A. is the agent representing APM Terminals in Mauritania. The agency in Nouakchott is one of the biggest operations in the Africa Region. APM Terminals Mauritania S.A. hold a leading share in the containerized depot market in the country and stevedoring.
The Country is perceived as stable place with a democratically elected government in place.
The main internal stakeholders will be:
- APM Terminals Mauritanie S.A. Management Team.
- All APM Terminals Mauritanie S.A. employees.
- Cluster and Regional APMT HR
The internal contact, though driving a shared interest, will often be divergent, especially in situations of labour bargaining.
The main external stakeholders will be:
- Training institutions & providers
- Pension Fund administrators
- Labour regulatory authorities
- HR consultants
- Insurance brokers
- External Union officials
The external contact in a number of instances will be divergent and the HR Manager has the authority to negotiate on behalf of APM Terminals Mauritanie S.A. as a whole.
- Develops the work plan of the HR department, aligning it with the overall business plan.
- Ensures that all employees are provided equal opportunity, fair and consistent application of policy, regardless of nationality or citizenship.
- Responsible for management of all worker groups including unions, worker representatives & collective bargaining bodies.
- Responsible to maintain key contacts with employer associations & labour ministry officials.
- Recommends solutions and advises management on significant employee relations matters.
- Directs the administration of the compensation system and methodology, ensuring consistent practices.
- Approves general administrative documents, including employment contracts, status changes (job title, salary grade, pay), separations from employment, and other related matters.
- Acts as a key liaison with the community, as it may relate to the company overall or to some aspect of the human resources function.
- Keeps fully informed of changes in labor or employment law matters.
- Researches human resources issues, seeks out comparative data, utilizing survey instruments or other applicable vehicles for such research and analysis.
- MUST BE FLUENT IN ENGLISH
- Requires a professional standard of knowledge to lead teams through functional/general expertise in the HR and associated functions.
- Minimum university degree in human resources, business administration, behavioural science, or management.
- Substantial experience in general human resources or related work, with an emphasis in organizational design and planning, employment, labour law, employee relations, compensation, and benefits.
- Proven managerial experience, preferably in the private sector.
- Must be thoroughly familiar with local labour and employment law and practices.
- Thorough understanding of investigative methods and principles.
- Complete and thorough understanding of international management standards and principles.
- Thoroughly knowledgeable in various international human resources standards in the areas of compensation, employee relations, general benefits, employment and staffing practices, and organizational development.
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills.
- Must be able to work effectively with all levels of the organization, including top, middle and supervisory levels of management.
- Effective interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Collaborative work style, fostering cooperation and teamwork to achieve results.
- Able to exercise discretion and good judgment, with an ability to understand the effect of decisions overall in the company.
- Able to handle confidential company and employee information with complete discretion.
- Strong analytical skills, including the ability to extract, compile and analyse data.
- Advanced verbal and written communications skills in English.
- Strong and proven blue collar management experience would be a plus.
To the right candidate we offer an exciting and challenging position in a truly international, culturally diverse and busy environment where the candidate through commitment and high performance will have great possibilities of personal development. He/she will have the opportunity to work with a diverse range of internal and external stakeholders, as well as experienced leaders with a strong international background. Further, the incumbent will have the opportunity to acquire skills and knowledge in HR operations and business partnering, as well as in leading a department of professionals. Relevant next career steps could be a more senior HR role at Cluster or Regional level, or a more complex container terminal environment. The position will be based in Nouakchott, Mauritania.