(IPE Factors: Impact & Innovation)
• Participates in the management-union negotiations, meetings, and any other industrial/employee related events and working closely with the Head, Human Resource and Chief Operating Officer in proffering guidance and solutions on matters discussed.
• Facilitates meetings between management and Executives of Unions and employee/industrial affiliate bodies.
• Recommends solutions and advises management on significant employee relations and disciplinary matters.
• Communicates significant changes in policies and processes to all departments.
• Supports the implementation of Management’s key/pivotal employee and industrial related decisions and policies.
• Manages relationship with external trade union(s), NIMASA as well as the Ministry of Labour on all employee related matter.
• Manages relationships with representatives from other Terminals within the industry, employers association in order to keep abreast of all maritime industrial relation matters.
• Oversees the registration and de-registration of Dock Workers with NIMASA and performs same with the existing Maritime Union.
• Facilitates the In-house Union meetings with the Head, Human Resources and the Chief Operating Officer.
• Facilitates the organisational Internal stakeholders forum involving the Head, Human Resources and the Chief Operating Officer.
• Manages Industrial pressing issues as well as other floor issues with the workers/union representatives and provides timely feedback to the Head, Human Resources and the Chief Operating Officer.
• Prevents employee work stoppage/strike actions.
• Manages all sensitive industrial relations correspondence from internal and external parties on all Industrial relations matters.
• Proactively Liaise with other departments and units within the organization to ensure that Labour issues are resolved quickly.
• Ensures adherence and compliance to government regulations as it’s relates to Labour union matters.
• Undertakes and manages approved management’s industrial/employee projects.
• Provides guidance on all BC engagement feedback meetings as well as follow ups on action planning
• Prepares and analyses reports that are necessary to carry out the function of the department and company.
• Oversees the development and administration of programs, procedures and guidelines to help align the workforce with the strategic goals of the company.
• Perform other duties and responsibilities as required.
REPORTING AND SCOPE:
(IPE Factor: Knowledge/teams & breadth/)
• Position reports to Head, Human Resources
• Dotted line – Chief Operating Officer
WORK/BUSINESS CONTACTS AND AUTHORITY:
(IPE Factor: Communication)
• Internal – All employees
• External– Labour Unions, Governmental institutions and administrations related to labour matters.
(IPE Factor: Knowledge)
• Requires a university degree in any discipline.
• Requires at least two years of being responsible for Labour relations within an organization.
• Must have working knowledge of Microsoft word, excel and power point.
• Must be familiar with Best practices in the professional field of Human Resources, Labour law and people management.
• Requires ability to communicate in English, both verbally and written.
LEARNING & CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
In this position, the incumbent will have an opportunity to acquire skills and knowledge in the following areas;
• Dispute resolution and problem solving.
• Negotiation skills.
• Labour Laws.
• Fundamentals of Human Resources.
• Interpersonal Relationship.