The role is expected to support the Bank’s mission of “stimulating a consistent expansion and diversification of African trade so as to rapidly increase Africa’s share of global trade, while operating as a first class, profit oriented, socially responsible financial institution and a centre of excellence in African trade matters” by assisting in coordinating the collection and dissemination of business information to external stakeholders in a manner that is cost effective and consistent with the Bank’s image and mandate.
Nature & scope
Responsible for supporting the development and implementation of strategies and plans to support the Bank’s communication process with external stakeholders, including shareholders, customers, partners and the media. The jobholder functions as a key part of the Bank’s public information dissemination team, producing such items as press releases, corporate brochures, website news and publications updates, client communications, presentations, and managing the Bank’s brand image.
Duties and responsibilities
• Support the develop and implement the Bank’s communications strategy and plan, ensuring integration with the Bank’s Strategic Plan and Annual Business Plans using all appropriate media channels. As part of this process, the job holder give particular focus to executing a digital strategy, combining social media engagements with on and offline promotion of the Bank’s activities and achievements;
• Plan, prepare and implement the dissemination of all business information through appropriate channels to keep the public and other target groups, such as clients, governments and other international organizations, informed and up to date about the Bank’s programs and achievements, and conduct appropriate research for the development of campaigns to raise the profile of the Bank among target audiences;
• Provide French and/or Arabic language support for the work of the Communications and Events Department by undertaking the drafting and editing of French or Arabic language versions of communications products;
• Assist in developing appropriate corporate information and promotional materials for the media, including press kits and corporate information summaries, in conjunction with relevant Bank departments;
• Develop and maintain positive working relationships with targeted media outlets, including print, broadcast, online and social media, and manage day-to-day relationship with public relations agencies, as the case may be;
• Create media opportunities and coordinate media encounters involving members of the Bank’s Management, including scheduling, preparing speaking briefs, managing interviews and writing and distributing press releases to local, international and trade specific media;
• Monitor coverage of the Bank’s activities in the media channels and prepare media impact reports for Management;
• Assist in coordinating and managing the Bank’s website to ensure that updates online information is up to date; and
• Any other duties as may be assigned by management.
Skills, Knowledge and Attitude
• First degree in Communications, Journalism, or related disciplines and a post graduate degree in the same or related fields from a recognized University;
• Sound experience of at least 8 years with a leading organisation, preferably international, and demonstrated experience of communications strategy development and implementation;
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and proficiency/ability to work in French or Arabic. Knowledge of the Bank’s other working languages (and Portuguese, etc.) is an added advantage;
• Strong digital and social media management skills;
• Familiarity with functions and operating modalities of financial service institutions will be a clear advantage;
• Ability to communicate and function in a culturally diverse and change oriented setting and good knowledge of the African continent;
• Ability to engage senior officials of media companies, banks, corporates and governments for purposes of disseminating required information about the Bank;
• Willingness to travel extensively and to work long hours where required in order to achieve the Bank’s objectives;
• Demonstrated leadership capabilities, including ability to build and nurture relationships with internal and external counter-parties to attain goals.