1. Nature & Scope
The role provides protocol-related services to the Bank’s staff and the entire Bank at all its locations. The main activities of the role consist in providing protocol services, managing relations with the Bank Group headquarters or regional office host countries. The specific role of the Principal Protocol Officer will be to assist the Head of Protocol in (i) administering the Headquarters Agreement and the agreements establishing the regional offices and representations, as well as the immunities, privileges and exemptions extended to the Bank and its staff, (ii) monitoring relations with the host country.
2. Duties and responsibilities
a) Assist the Head of Protocol in preparing the Unit’s annual activity plan (Tier 2 scorecard) in order to plan for carrying out the Unit’s missions, essentially pertaining to the planning, organization, management, coordination and supervision of the Bank’s relations with the host country (ies);
b) Participate in discussions regarding clauses of the Headquarters Agreement or Branch Agreements with host countries as the need may arise, and specifically: prepare draft documents, memoranda, all verbal notes or correspondence relating to his /her duties and generally to all tasks entrusted to him/her by the Head of Protocol Services;
c) Manage application of the Headquarters and Branch Agreements and carry out administrative coordination in respect of any disputes arising in that regard. The incumbent will formulate, transmit and follow up, in conjunction with the competent host country authorities, requests for tax exemption, long-stay visas, diplomatic and international organization cards, vehicle registration, and administer and follow up dossiers for presentation of newly recruited staff to host country authorities;
d) Handle and follow up any diplomatic disputes arising in the application of these agreements, in close collaboration with the Board Secretariat and Legal Departments; ensure and monitor proper conservation of authorized signatory records and other legal documents processed in the Unit;
e) Coordinate with the team that handles all Bank Security matters (Administrative Services) with regard to all activities pertaining to the security of the institution’s staff and physical assets; represent the Bank in dealings with the host country authorities concerning security of diplomatic missions and international organizations;
f) Draft notes on the status of Afreximbank’s relations with the host countries at all locations and briefs for Executive Management or the Board of Directors as may be required;
g) Prepare for and participate in meetings organized by the host country’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs on management of privileges and immunities granted to the Bank and its staff;
h) Provide protocol related advice and services for all the Bank’s internal and external events and conferences including facility or MoU agreement signing ceremonies, the Annual General Meetings, and meetings, conferences and events organized or sponsored by the Bank; and
i) Liaise between the Bank, foreign diplomatic representations and international organizations –for visa request formalities in particular.
3. Skills, Knowledge and Attitude
• A Bachelor’s degree from a leading University in International Relations, Laws, or other disciplines relevant to the position plus a post graduate degree in a relevant field;
• Relevant experience of at least 8 years, in a diplomatic mission, multilateral organisation or other similar environment;
• Demonstrated knowledge and experience of international diplomatic protocols and conventions;
• Ability to build and maintain relationships and interact with senior officials of governments diplomatic missions and multilateral organisations;
• Ability to communicate and function in a culturally diverse and change oriented setting with good knowledge of the African continent;
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and French. Knowledge of the Bank’s other working languages is an added advantage (Arabic and Portuguese); and
• Demonstrated leadership capabilities, including ability to organise and manage human resources from varied cultural backgrounds to attain goals.