APM Terminals is one of the world’s largest port and terminal operators as well as providing cargo support and container Inland Services. It is the largest port and terminal operating company in terms of overall geographic scope, operating a Global Terminal Network with interests in 63 operating port and terminal facilities in 39 countries on five continents. Additionally, there are seven new port projects in development, as well as over 160 Inland Services operations providing container transportation, management, maintenance and repair in 48 countries.
Based in Tema and reporting to the West Africa Cluster Director, the Managing Director APM Terminals Inland Services Ghana is responsible for the Ghana business (USD 17 Million in 2013), comprising 93 permanent employees and 182 outsourced staff, covering operations as well as other functions such as Finance, HR, HSSE & Commercial within the 5 depot locations in Tema, Ghana. The cumulative size of the existing depots is 84,500 sq. m., covering Full Import, Export, Dry & Reefer Empty container activities. The entity can also boast of a Trucking operation with a fleet of 40 Trucks.
In this challenging and must win role, you will be a true leader, driving the business forward on all fronts to ensure the continued success within this strategically critical country. You will be challenged to ensure that opportunities are being capitalized on, while keeping customer service at the centre of the Organization’s operations. While ensuring that Return on Invest Capital is maximized, you will not lose sight of the fact that an excellent HSSE practice, without compromise, is the organization’s license to operate.
Import & Export ICD Businesses
• Develop and implement a sustainable strategy to deliver set new ICD business case targets in line with entity the overall Cluster Regional strategy.
• Develop and execute long term strategies to ensure an optimal utilisation of Export Depot to ensure that Entity targets are met.
• Be responsible to develop and deploy strategic and comprehensive operational and HSSE plans including allocation of resources for the business.
• Continuously review organisational requirements to ensure optimal staff strength is maintained.
• Recommend expansion or divestment to West Africa Cluster Director.
• Ensure the business continues to grow and optimise operations in line with strategy.
• Be accountable for all financial and non-financial targets for the Trucking Business in Ghana.
• Be actively involved in ensuring Customer satisfaction and take proactive steps to streamline operations.
• Continuously review the organisation chart and align people with priorities.
• Business Development and continuous review of the market.
• Develop customer base & increase revenue share for the business.
• Responsible for optimisation of key business operating variables to maximise efficiencies.
• Ensure financial and non-financial targets for the Trucking business are met.
Networking & Stakeholder Management
• Ensure that the business interests are optimised through the maintenance of a network of senior contacts with the Government officials, Port Authority, Labour Unions, Customs Authority, Suppliers, local authorities and existing / potential customers.
• Actively participate in Industry associations to ensure business needs are maximised.
• Continuously grow and ensure competitive performance for the IS businesses in Ghana.
• Create and support environment of best practice sharing. Will be responsible for business growth, health and safety governance and operating governance.
• Responsible for collaborating with functions and other product lines in APM Terminals Inland Services (Depot, Transportation and EMR).
• Maximise gains and returns.
• Master’s Degree in Business Management, Logistics, Business Administration or related discipline.
• At least ten years or more of senior management experience in the shipping/container industry.
• Thorough grounding in the strict implementation of international standards of safe working practices within marine and container terminal operations.
• Ability to work under pressure, and to anticipate potential problems and diagnoses.
• Proven ability to evaluate and resolve operational and tactical managerial challenges.
• Demonstrated track record in building and maintaining strategic business relationships.
• Ability to take a global view, while not losing sight of local details.
• Technical knowledge of Depot, transport, EMR, Reefer Business operations.
• Demonstrated commercial and financial acumen.
• Thorough understanding and knowledge of the Ghanaian market.
• Vey high level of cost consciousness and cost containment focus.
• Proven team leadership skills and ability to manage cross functional teams.
• Strong influencing, persuasion and negotiation skills.
• Strong execution skills with high result orientation
• Strong communication and presentation skills.
• Effective customer service skills.
To the right candidate we offer an exciting and challenging position in a truly international, culturally diverse and busy environment where the candidate through commitment and high performance will have great possibilities of personal development. He/she will have the opportunity to work with a diverse range of internal and external stakeholders, as well as experienced leaders with a strong international background. The position will be based in Tema, Ghana.