- Great Lakes Ports Limited operates out of Mombasa Kenya, and is a joint venture inland operation with a 50% local shareholding.
- Great Lakes Ports Limited is a Container Freight Station (CFS), and as an extension of the Port of Mombasa is licensed to store local Kenya imports and also those in Transit to inland countries.
- Its primary operation is the storage of full import containers, general cargo, groupage and refrigerated containers as well as RoRo and rail bound cargo.
- GLPL has all required Government Agencies on site including Kenya Revenue Authority to clear cargo prior to release.
- Great Lakes Port Limited currently has a permanent head count of 58 and is a well-established operation with enormous opportunity for growth and expansion
- To ensure that at all times, GLPL operates within the ambit of the applicable laws governing Container Freight Stations in Kenya.
- Accountable for ensuring that all operational activities are compliant with legislation and/ or customer demand.
- Responsible for directing and managing multi-disciplinary import related projects.
- Overall responsibility for the direction and management of business operations.
- Responsible for the development of operational strategy and business continuity plans.
- Responsible for the ongoing establishment and maintenance of appropriate systems to monitor, evaluate and report on all operational departments.
- Responsible for the development, implementation and maintenance of business strategy.
- Update Board of Directors with information as required.
- Compile and present compelling business cases to the Board of Directors in respect of CAPEX purchases.
- Effective management of capital budget and expenditure, ensuring that the business achieves a profit year on year.
- Full accountability for improving and responding to the needs of both existing and potential customers.
- Develop sound relationships with key stakeholders and relevant bodies.
- Responsible for service optimization and high level maintenance of service standards.
- Key account management to include customer relationship management.
- Source new customers and extract additional value from current customers.
- Build and leverage relationships founded on trust and integrity to facilitate opportunities.
- Analyse market trends and customer needs to identify new business development opportunities.
- Participate in industry and sales meetings to provide recommendations and inputs on business strategies.
- Assist in preparing business plans and budgets for new projects.
- Manage and revise annual business plans and budgets as needed.
HSSE & RISK
- Recognizing and responding to the needs of the business in respect of HSSE and risk management, ensuring that preventative measures are in place.
- Lead and direct transformation within the business.
- Direct corporate services such as HR, Finance, Commercial and IT.
- Prepare the Board of Directors meetings.
- Effective people management through maintaining a culture of motivation and respect.
- Appropriate tertiary qualification.
- 10 years’ experience, 5 of which must be at a Senior Management capacity.
- Excellent knowledge of container terminal operations.
- Proven ability to operate at a strategic board level.
- Possess effective analytical, finance, reporting and problem solving skills.
- Has a proactive approach to business development and diversification.
- High energy levels.
- Has full knowledge of international standards of safe working practices within the industry as well as occupational health and safety laws.