Marketing Managers are responsible for planning, budgeting, coordinating and executing marketing strategies in support of South African Airways business development / revenue objectives. This position will lead all brand definition and positioning activities conducted to maximize the visibility of SAA in the regional marketplace. The position will be based in SAA’s offices in different global stations. Representation of the Company at both public and trade events may be required. Domestic travel will be frequent and in addition to international travel necessary for the fulfillment of work/customer obligations.
- Accountable for the development and implementation of marketing plans aimed at growing the value perception, revenue and profit of SAA. Liaison with head office staff will be required to aid with strategy implementation.
- Lead, motivate and develop a team to achieve company goals and prepare for future opportunities.
- Marketing Planning:
- Marketing Objectives, Strategies, Tactics and Budgets: exercise a disciplined and creative approach to the development of unique programs
- Marketing Plan Execution:
- Marketing Evaluations: Develop methods (focus groups, market research, etc.) to evaluate the effectiveness of marketing programs.
- Pricing: Act as a liaison between pricing, sales, product development and service delivery, vendors and alliance partners.
- E- Commerce: manage business unit’s internet/interactive marketing presence.
- Alliances: work closely with business unit’s alliance partners and identify opportunities for future partnerships
- Industry and competitive analysis: maintain an in-depth understanding of the industry and competitive forces affecting SAA urrent and future performance. Disseminate various marketing reports to measure customer satisfaction, needs and trends.
- Business Unit Performance: understand the dynamics of the business unit’s performance against goals, sources of revenue, and allocation of resources.
- Critical Issues: identification of the significant factors affecting the short to long-term profitability of SAA.
- Internal: work as a team with internal resources, including sales and corporate communication associates, in the production of marketing programs
- External: work with advertising and other agencies in creative, media and promotion plans and execution.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree (B. A.) from four-year university, in Marketing or related field; MBA is a plus;
- Minimum 5 – 10 years airline and/or travel industry experience, and comprehensive knowledge of the airline sales processes, airline distribution channels, CRS’s, pricing, e-commerce and marketing communications in the Internet startup environment. All marketing experience should be quantifiable and demonstrable.
Minimum five (5) years team leadership experience.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Strong negotiation, interpersonal skills and adaptable to different cultures;
- Ability to operate independently within overall guidelines and to be able to represent the airline’s image and policies at the highest levels;
- People oriented leader with excellent communication skills as well as high ethics and credibility;
- A strategic thinker with analytical ability – be able to budget for both costs and revenue purposes;
- Ability to interface with a wide range of staff and be responsible for their professional development;
- Fluent knowledge of Windows based software including Microsoft Office 2003. Also the ability to learn and adapt to new software systems that the company may introduce;
- Ability to handle multiple projects under pressure and meet deadlines;