Purpose of the job
To produce quality beverages to meet sales demand, through cost effective management and direction of Brewing operations within the Brewery.
- Translate and cascade down OpCo/Brewery vision and strategy into department/ pillar strategy, objectives, priorities and targets and to create commitment to implement.
- Plan and co-ordinate brewing production (raw materials treatment up to bright beer) to ensure timely delivery of beer to meet the requirements of the packaging department.
- Create mentality to drive continuous improvement processes and set priorities in order to develop, implement, and maintain best in class standards and basic conditions through effective use of TPM methodology in order to improve quality and (cost) efficiency in the brewing department.
- Maximise beer quality by focusing on key deviations from quality specifications and developing plans to correct these.
- Ensure that brewing equipment is maintained in excellent operational condition by implementing effective autonomous maintenance and preventative maintenance programmes in conjunction with the engineering department.
- Lead a team of highly motivated, well trained and competent staff by agreeing departmental performance standards, providing regular feedback and developing staff training programs.
- Ensure the brewing department operates within company food safety and SHE standards through continued education and obtaining the co-operation and commitment of all staff.
- Contribute to the budget preparation process, to manage costs within budget and to judge financial impact of performance and decisions.
Key Functional Competencies (Brewing Management)
- Safety – level 3
- Production strategy development & implementation – level 2
- Management of brewing process & execution – level 3
- Brewing quality management & control – level 3
- Maintenance management – level 3
- Cost management – level 2
- Project Management – level 2
- Resource planning – level 2
- Management reporting – level 2.
Key Leadership Competencies
- Drives to win (show determination and resilience to succeed in building a continuous improving department which results in a reliable and cost efficient plant)
- Develops People & Teams (build capabilities to meet current and future business needs by enabling people to develop and fulfill their potentials)
- Engages and inspires others (Motivate others to drive change and build commitment around a common agenda)
- Fosters Collaboration (enhance mutual interdependence and achieve shared goals in the department).
Qualification and Experience
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Biochemistry, Microbiology, Chemistry, Production/Chemical Engineering or other related discipline.
- Preferably, a Post-graduate Honours or Master’s degree in any of the above mentioned disciplines is an advantage.
- Must have relevant professional certification e.g. IBD.
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience in the food processing industry including 5 years of managerial experience.
- Good people skills.
- Fluency in English is essential; proficiency in French would be a distinct advantage.