Regional Finance Management Roles
Manages all financial functions in the Region for South African Airways. The position is based at South African Airways’ regional headquarters across different global stations. The Regional Finance Manager as a solid line reporting Manager, Support Services, and dotted line reporting to Station Accounting at SAA’s Headquarters in Johannesburg.
- Ensures that Americas management are provided information that creates awareness of all of the current key financial issues, with an orientation toward future financial performance
- Participates in most contract negotiations that are to have an effect over the regions’ performance, and conducts cost analysis reports in certain cases where a financial review is required;
- Manages all internal and external audits for the Region;
- Continuously monitors general ledger postings for accuracy and effects on the expenditure budgets; also monitors debtors / creditors, route performance (TK71, Barometer, CASK vs RASK)
- Ensures timely and accurate filing of all corporate tax returns for the Region;
- Conducts regular self-audits to ensure compliance in all financial areas in the Region. Focus areas are the audit of ticket sales reports, bank deposits, refund procedures, procurement procedures and vendors contracts.
- Ensures compliance of corporate financial policies, procedures and with South African Public Finance Management Act (PFMA).
- Manages the annual cost budgeting process for the Region; and is the primary interface between the region and Corporate Financial Planning regarding budget process;
- Works closely with Head of Americas and Station Accounting to assess regional budget targets and variance; provides recommendations regarding cost containment;
- Supports Head of the Americas in monthly operational reviews within the region/market and manages follow up as necessary;
- Provides monthly financial analysis of the Americas routes to the Americas management team;
- Resolves problems regarding refunds, sales reports, and ticketing procedures;
- Manages all SAA’s bank accounts in the Americas and related duties coupled with strict control of cash needs enable optimization of resources and the consequent transfer of surplus funds to SAA’s consolidation bank account.
- Reconciles bank accounts, reports and journals for South America and ensures all reconciliation functions are in compliance with SAA’s financial policies.
- Directly supervises Accounting Manager based in Plantation, FL and three Accounting Agents based in Sao Paulo, Brazil;
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree (B. A.) in Accounting from four-year university
- A. (C.P.A.) or MBA Degree in Accounting/Finance.
- Minimum ten (10) years’ related experience with significant financial skills and knowledge base; airline revenue accounting experience a plus
Strong accounting background with proven understanding of GAAP and audit principles and practices
Significant knowledge of desktop financial systems, i.e. Excel
- Some experience with SAP-FI & SAP PHR modules preferable
- Ability to handle multiple tasks under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Understanding of Federal, State, Local corporate and payroll tax regulation;
- Demonstrated ability to guide, direct, coach accounting staff;
- Excellent interpersonal and presentation skills
- Strong verbal, and written communication skills.
- Highly developed analytic and problem solving skills
- Ability to work effectively with senior management in a small team environment