Overall mission/ Purpose
Within the framework of the Department’s objectives and yearly action plans that he helps define, his missions are:
- To plan, organise, motivate and control the sales activities.
- To execute marketing programs as spelt out in the marketing plans.
- To spearhead customer service initiatives.
- Ensures compliance with Safety Health and Environmental Management standards.
- Takes care of day-to-day management of subordinates to ensure a motivated sales team.
- Ensures maximum contribution to profitability.
- Manages product collection scheduling including exports
- Maximises volumes to achieve market share targets in accordance with Company strategy.
- Ensures that the sales team who service the customers provide the required level of service to the customers by being sufficiently equipped and technically competent through relevant training and motivation to optimise manpower output.
- Ensures sales department adherence to company strategy and long term business plans.
- Takes a strong liaison role with production to align sales with production.
- Provides support to customers in the form of technical support or promotional support in order to maintain high levels of customer satisfaction.
- Assists the organisation in setting of strategy by setting targets and then assisting with the achievement thereof through customer visits and establishment of customer needs.
- Manages team building through recruitment, training facilitation and setting performance targets
- Manages departmental adherence to operating procedures and the drafting and review of such procedures.
- Manage costs in line with business performance.
Key areas of responsibility
Performance criteria (key results / outputs)
- Achievement of volume targets.
- Containment of costs of the sales department.
- Collated market intelligence.
- Team member efficiency.
- Creation / review of internal control systems and adherence thereof.
- Adherence to SHE standards as required by the BU and group.
- Improved environment management system.
Necessary skills and competencies
- Incumbent to hold at least a Diploma/Degree in Marketing Management with at least 5 years managerial experience.
- Sound knowledge of the building and construction industry, and retail building supply industry.
- Understanding of technical and selling environment and knowledge of the differences in the various selling environments and industrial selling environments.
- Very high computer literacy.
Leadership and behavioural skills
- Ability to listen.
- Ability to communicate
- Management and motivational skills
- Influence other people
- Attention to detail