The role is to assist the Bank to achieve its mission “stimulating a consistent expansion of and diversification of African trade so as to rapidly increase Africa’s share of global trade, while operating as a first class, profit oriented, socially responsible financial institution and a centre of excellence in Forfaiting for Africa by establishing and expanding the Bank’s Forfaiting Sub-unit including secondary market trading for Forfaiting in close cooperation with all related departments and units and in line with the Strategy approved by the Board of Directors on Forfaiting.
Nature & scope
The role of the position holder will be to establish the Forfaiting Sub-Unit for the Bank and develop the “secondary” market trading for Forfaiting. Implement the Strategy as approved by the Board of Directors of the Bank.
Duties and responsibilities
- To lead the strategic planning process and the successful implementation of the Forfaiting sub-unit’s strategic plans as approved by the Board of the Bank;
- To oversee the financial performance of the Forfaiting sub-unit and the successful management of the business and affairs of the sub-unit;
- Guide and oversee the origination and completion of Forfaiting transactions to foster Intra-African trade and African imports;
- Guide and oversee the trading of Forfaiting transactions and with the final aim to create a true Forfaiting market for Africa;
- Ensure the development of a diversified portfolio for Forfaiting;
- Guide and oversee the implementation of the marketing and business development strategy;
- Prepare the Annual Business Plan for the Forfaiting sub-unit in close cooperation with Syndications & Agency;
- Set up and manage sales processes and procedures in sales & marketing of forfaiting products in order to optimize Afreximbank’s market penetration;
- Provide the Afreximbank staff in originating roles with adequate guidelines and information to further business development and to manage the clients’ relationships;
- Implement in coordination with all relevant departments and units, the strategic and long term objectives of the Forfaiting sub-unit of the Bank;
- Assist, whenever required, other departments and units of the Bank to grow the trade finance products offered in the African market;
- Design schemes and road shows to create awareness and knowledge of the Forfaiting products with regulators, law makers, African banks, financial institutions, partners and clients;
- Manage and develop staff through appropriate performance planning, coaching and performance reviews; and
- Any other duties as may be assigned by senior management.
Skills, Knowledge and Attitude
- Bachelor’s degree and post graduate degree in relevant field. A professional qualification in a relevant area backed up by appropriate Banking experience may be considered in lieu of a post graduate degree;
- Sound experience of minimum 10 years with a leading financial services organization and relevant experience in senior roles in Forfaiting Companies or other related Financial Institutions;
- Detailed knowledge of African trade finance market and the continent’s economic and trade landscape;
- Extensive understanding of Forfaiting techniques and its secondary markets;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English. Knowledge of the Bank’s other working languages is an added advantage (French, Arabic and Portuguese);
- Impeccable interpersonal skills and the ability to build and manage senior level interactions with a range of external stakeholders up to executive level;
- Ability to propose innovative solutions to complex problems which have a significant impact on the function or wider business;
- Possesses the highest personal and professional integrity;
- Ability to foster a culture of integrity throughout the Forfaiting sub-unit and ensure compliance with all applicable rules and regulations;
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities, including the ability to manage and coordinate specialist teams which can include managers and professional staff;
- Willingness to support Afreximbank’s mandate to develop the African continent through the provision of financing for trade; and
- Willingness to travel extensively and to work long hours where required in order to achieve the sub-unit and Bank’s objectives.