Vision & Purpose
The purpose of the role is to help the Bank achieve its mission of “stimulating a consistent expansion of and diversification of African trade so as to rapidly increase Africa’s share of global trade, while operating as a first class, profit oriented, socially responsible financial institution and a centre of excellence in African trade matters” by developing opportunities for business development in trade projects and export development finance at the regional level.
The successful candidate will be responsible for leading and providing direction to the Client Relations Managers in the Branch on implementation of business plans, client account plans and strategies, managing a strong team of client relations bankers and accountable for the overall P&L of the Branch.
The key aim will be to manage an extensive portfolio of customers, acting as a trusted advisor to each of them. You will also be expected to add to your portfolio, by targeting prospective customers and building strong relationships with them.
Nature & Scope
The successful candidate will be required to draw up the annual strategic and marketing plans for the geographic region and lead the implementation of the plans for the achievement of the Bank’s objectives in these areas. The successful candidate will also identify the Bank’s key/core customers in each region and draw up Account Management Plans for the top customers in Branch for the purpose of maximizing cross selling of the Bank’s products and services.
The Bank has established six (6) regional development and business delivery offices, with one in each region of Africa: North Africa, Southern Africa, East Africa, Anglophone West Africa, Central Africa and Francophone West Africa.
The Regional Chief Operating Officer North Africa will drive and ensure the operational efficiency, effectiveness and overall health of the Bank’s portfolio across the region to achieve significant developmental impacts.
The Regional Chief Operating will oversee the full implementation and integration of all aspects of the Bank’s work in that region:
- Advancing regional integration through the development and execution of major regional infrastructure and development projects and by supporting Regional Economic Communities.
- Strengthening the human and institutional capacities of countries and deepening the capacity of the Bank to become the thought leader on knowledge products and advisory services to countries.
- Building effective collaboration with bilateral and multilateral finance and development institutions to ramp up co-financing and loan syndications.
- S/he will spearhead regional business development and investment, driving resource mobilization across the countries under his/her remit and significantly growing the business of the Bank.
- S/he will work closely with Global Head Client Relations and Directors to deliver on the Bank’s program the region to achieve transformational development impacts.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Building a team of highly talented and motivated technical and operational staff, drawn from all sector complexes.
- Supporting countries in the development of country strategy papers and regional integration strategies that will drive country ownership and accelerated delivery on all strategic priorities of the Bank.
- Developing critical resources and the technical capability necessary for sourcing and originating bankable projects.
- Ensuring efficient and effective project completion by streamlining and speeding up internal processes, enhancing operational efficiencies, and driving accelerated disbursements on all approved projects.
- Driving greater value for money in all operations and ensuring country and regional offices are cost-effective through prudent management of human and financial resources.
- Cultivating and ensuring a culture of “ONE-Bank”, with the highest levels of ethics, fiduciary responsibility and professionalism to protect and enhance the reputation of the Bank.
- Representing the Bank in the region and building strong partnerships with countries, regional economic communities, and other development partners.
- Manages a portfolio of clients with deliberate cultivation based on proactive individualized plans.
- Provides client service to each client or government organization.
- Finding out what information, products or services the customer requires to meet his/her needs, providing clear, accurate and relevant information.
- Compliance with legal requirements, industry regulations, organisational policies and professional codes.
- Preparation of an annual Regional Strategic and Marketing Plans derived from the Bank’s Strategic Plan for Management’s Approval.
- Leading implementation of marketing plans as approved by the Bank and actively securing mandates and business in the region.
- Implementing strategies for entering various segments of the trade finance market and investment banking in the region.
- Evaluating and reviewing new business Pre-Assessment Memos and Credit Proposals from the region, Product teams and Head Office and making recommendations on the same to Director & Global Head Client Relations.