Vision & Purpose
The role is supposed to help the Bank to achieve its mission “stimulating a consistent expansion of and diversification of African trade so as to rapidly increase Africa’s share of global trade, while operating as a first class, profit oriented, socially responsible financial institution and a centre of excellence in African trade matters” by developing opportunities for business development in trade projects and export development finance at the regional level.
Reporting to the Director Client Relations, the job holder is responsible for leading and providing direction to the Client Relations Managers’ in the Non-regional coverage space driving global trade and implementation of business plans, client account plans and strategies; managing a strong team of client relations bankers and accountable for the overall P&L of the Business.
The Client Relations Department covers clients of all industries/sectors across Africa to provide integrated financial solutions to clients, with products/services including Intra-African Trade Corporate Finance, Project Finance, Specialised Funding including ECA Finance, Syndications, Trade Finance and other financial advisory across all sectors.
Nature & Scope
The position holder will be required to implement the Bank’s strategy as set by senior management, overseeing and coordinating all technical specialists and people matters and deputizing the Global Head and Director of Client Relations when required.
The position holder will be expected to supervise Client Relations Managers and Associates and manage the most complex client portfolios, non-regional and transactions, acting as an escalation point for all technical queries.
The position holder will also be required to identify the Bank’s non-regional key/core customers and draw up the annual strategic and marketing plans for the geographic region and lead the implementation of the plans for the achievement of the Bank’s objectives in these areas.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Manages a portfolio of clients with deliberate cultivation based on proactive individualized plans. These plans would be developed in coordination with the product teams and should be designed to increase cross selling and client engagement;
- Ensures the regional service coverage is customer centric and provides an impeccable client service to each client or government organization. This includes timely turn around in terms of responses to client inquiries;
- Leads non regional Client Relations team members to accomplish functional goals to ensure high level client service. This includes coaching team members;
- Deal team coordination across the Bank’s products and geographies;
- Generate bankable leads through anticipating customer needs and finding out what information, products or services the customer requires to meet his/her needs, providing clear, accurate and relevant information;
- Maintaining a strong working knowledge of client portfolios / products with the Bank;
- Resolving customers’ queries within agreed authority;
- Reviewing call reports produced by team members and ensuring there is follow-up action conducted;
- Sales activity planning, including reviewing existing customer files to identify sales opportunities;
- Undertaking commercial negotiations;
- Managing new business pitches;
- Compliance with legal requirements, industry regulations, organisational policies and professional codes;
- Preparation of an annual Regional Strategic and Marketing Plans derived from the Bank’s Strategic Plan for Management’s Approval;
- Leading implementation of marketing plans as approved by the Bank and actively securing mandates and business in the region;
- Implementing strategies for entering various segments of the trade finance market and investment banking in the region;
- Evaluating and reviewing new business Pre-Assessment Memos and Credit Proposals from the region, Product teams and Head Office and making recommendations on the same to Director Client Relations;
- Representing the Bank in high level meetings, fora and making presentations in conformity with the high standards for which the Bank has become known;
- Maintaining and improving the Bank’s image across the continent; and
- Performing any other duties as may be assigned by Senior Management from time to time.